Detroit in front with COD unlocked?

you wont wanna do LSD like that ... it most likley will burn up as it will try to enguage the other axle continously ... and would burn up the clutches and such ... scrap that idea ... I would say an arb selectable .... open when unlocked and locked when enguaged .... price well its worth the upgrade lets leave it at that .... only seen a few get broken with moderate power .... stuipd power can break anything LOL

this will still be an issue if you have 1 hub locked and one unlocked .... and it will drag and spin your front driveline and you will still have the MPG issue that all these auto hub trucks all have ..... :blahblah1:

I welded my open diff and use the cad to drive it on the road. Truck drives fine when in 2 wheel drive nothing weird since the cad allows the wheels to rotate at different speeds when turning. 4 wheel drive is another story. I have a manual cable cad like you mentioned earlier and it can be a ***** to unlock the cad sometimes. You have to drive strait for a while and wiggle left and right a few times to get it to come out since the cad only has a spring to return the collar to the open position. Since I have my spiders welded if i leave the cad open in 4 wheel drive it is pulling with the drivers side front and it will pull like a mother to the right. Not uncontrolable or anything, but you can feel it if you romp on it on hard pack. With the cad locked and in 4 wheel drive it is a pulling sucker though.

Jay

I welded my open diff and use the cad to drive it on the road. Truck drives fine when in 2 wheel drive nothing weird since the cad allows the wheels to rotate at different speeds when turning. 4 wheel drive is another story. I have a manual cable cad like you mentioned earlier and it can be a ***** to unlock the cad sometimes. You have to drive strait for a while and wiggle left and right a few times to get it to come out since the cad only has a spring to return the collar to the open position. Since I have my spiders welded if i leave the cad open in 4 wheel drive it is pulling with the drivers side front and it will pull like a mother to the right. Not uncontrolable or anything, but you can feel it if you romp on it on hard pack. With the cad locked and in 4 wheel drive it is a pulling sucker though.

Jay

Appreciate your input. This is kind of answer a i was looking for. If you had a chance to redo it, would you stick with the locker or detroit truetrac ( clutchless lsd unit). Im kinda leaning towards truetrac after watching bunch of youtube videos.

this will still be an issue if you have 1 hub locked and one unlocked .... and it will drag and spin your front driveline and you will still have the MPG issue that all these auto hub trucks all have ..... :blahblah1:

Thanks, im scrapping the idea of lsd with clutches. But detroit truetrac chould be fine if i go that route?

I would go DETRIOT ... or truetrack .... $$$ arb is the best though ... just sayin I know its tight.......

If I were to do it again, I would do it the same. I dont pull the truck so turning around at the end of a run is not a problem. If I break cad collars or shafts then I plan to go to a one piece passenger axle and heavier shafts with an air locker or maybe a detroit true track. I have a lunch box locker to put in the front and then leave the collar locked. But I havnt had time or seen the need to change to that yet. I'm dubtfull that the lunchbox locker will hold. I think its a spartan unit.

Jay

I found used Detroit for $200 and installed it in spare axle. Haven had a chance to swap axles yet.
Truetrack actually don't make one for our front axle, only rear dana 60. But they said that you can take one apart and swap gears from side to side to make it work. And that will void the warranty!

rebuilt my LSD for about $100 and it spins both fronts when pulling in a straight line

good luck bro...... I was banned for not using the correct grammer and such , SOOO , I'm gonna go else where .... somewhere the grammaer and spelling NAZZIE cant find me ..... peace out .. hope all goes good .....

Back