Diesel PU compared to Big Rig sled pulling HP

View attachment 61001

What if you strapped this roughly 10,000 hp to the sled with an anchor point and snatch block end of track , with a cable set up , wired in its own small sub station to power it . Would it pull the sled fast than a Saturn era rocket motor would ? You'd have to factor in the added weight of roughly 100,000lbs though .

This thread like the other is pretty confusing not sure where comparing apples to sky scrapers to ocean going freighters is gonna take you and for what end result . There's 1000 ways to drag a sled down some dirt but it's done a particular way for a reason .

One thing that did come out of all this was a simple way to get through the 1000 MPH mark with a piston driven engine, I'll be it it would be an external power plant .

Britain is currently working on a vehicle to break this mark on land and boy it's a doozy.

Wartsila a Korean based company made a special engine for Godzilla's Corvette for when he's on the prowl stalking babes in Tokyo.

The Wartsila RTA 96 C makes 107,000 HP and the 1/4 mile calculator says it would propel a 1000 pound vehicle to 1076 MPH in that distance pulled by a cable. You could set it up on the shipping dock with no need for the salt flats and more than likely easily take the title..

Last edited:
OP ya lost me. Are you just starting ridiculous theoretical threads to get your post count up? Your first few posts indicate you believed a 400hp pickup truck engine could hang with a 400hp semi engine. Now you are on to ocean going ship engines and winches and such? dafuq?

Sorry, no I am serious. There is a lot of misunderstanding on this subject and I am just trying to clarify how to read a dyno and what it really means in the real world.

Why a 300 HP diesel PU whips the 300 HP gasser pretty good pulling in real life conditions and it is understanding the power under the curve I believe.

One thing that did come out of all this was a simple way to get through the 1000 MPH mark with a piston driven engine, I'll be it it would be an external power plant .

Britain is currently working on a vehicle to break this mark on land and boy it's a doozy.

Wartsila a Korean based company made a special engine for Godzilla's Corvette for when he's on the prowl stalking babes in Tokyo.

The Wartsila RTA 96 C makes 107,000 HP and the 1/4 mile calculator says it would propel a 1000 pound vehicle to 1076 MPH in that distance pulled by a cable. You could set it up on the shipping dock with no need for the salt flats and more than likely easily take the title..

Your definitely on to something ! With a bit more research you'll find the answers to all your theoretical questions without having to post them on here! Win win for everyone .

Parker Fly who operates the weighted box was telling me by PM that classes where the HP was about the same but one class made more torque than the other he had to tighten the box up so that is where he came up with his post here saying the Semi engine would beat the PU.

He did not give more details on it however. Thanks for any input.

Parker Fly who operates the weighted box was telling me by PM that classes where the HP was about the same but one class made more torque than the other he had to tighten the box up so that is where he came up with his post here saying the Semi engine would beat the PU.

He did not give more details on it however. Thanks for any input.

They're called Private Messages for a reason....

Last edited:
I have built and pulled both pickup and semi. Both right around the 1000hp mark. In my case the semi only had about 400lbs more torque. The weight of the vehicle and the strength of the driveline is just awesome! There's not much comparison. We just figure the Mack just uses bigger horses.

I appreciate all the help, I got really confused on this because on the site where I originally posted this ? the posters with the 5 star ratings where posting what I think is bunk to degree and I was like what am I missing... So I did not understand who really understood the subject.

The power under the curve is huge in your ability to drive a load to the peak output, a peaky power band needs many more gears to stay in the power band and it gets to a point to where you cannot really make it work if you are trying to accelerate a big load....

Thanks for all the help.....

I have built and pulled both pickup and semi. Both right around the 1000hp mark. In my case the semi only had about 400lbs more torque. The weight of the vehicle and the strength of the driveline is just awesome! There's not much comparison. We just figure the Mack just uses bigger horses.

Your Semi more than likely has more average HP across the RPM operating range. More torque rise when the RPMs drop under load.

Power under the peak HP. P.U.C

I was reading where the Mack Maxidyne 237 was considered one of the best diesels little work horses ever, it had a torque rise of 52% SO IT COULD DRIVE 35 TONS TO 60 mph WITH JUST A 5 SPEED. sORRY ABOUT CAPS.....