Diesel Snowmobile Conversion Possibilities

0 Xero 0

Turbolover
I've been curious about the potential for a diesel snowmobile for a while. I found a couple different engine candidates that put out decent power. Ideally, a small =/< 2.0L 2 stroke engine would the be the engine of choice, but I can't find any small diesel 2 strokes. A baby wartsila-sultzer would be very fun. I did find a couple small 4 stroke engines. Here are links to some info on each respectively:

The last 1.6L one is the one I'd use - Citroën C3 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I'm not sure about the 1.2 or 1.4L here - Volkswagen Lupo - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
JTD engine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Some of these might be too big, but it's surprisingly hard to find dimensions for these engines. I also haven't been able to find info on the types of injection pumps on most of these or turbo info. I believe the Citroen is has common rail injection and the 1.2 L VW tdi has a ve style pump. This one is very intriguing because I was wondering if there are any p-pumps that could be retrofitted to add more fuel. It would have to be odd numbered with 3 or 6 pistons. Would it be possible to detune a 5.9 injection pump to the point where it would work here? I doubt it, but you never know if unless you ask.

IMO a any diesel would be to heavy for a sled hell even the 4 strokes are to heavy IMO

IMO a any diesel would be to heavy for a sled hell even the 4 strokes are to heavy IMO

Depends on where hes riding. Out here it would be terrible in the powder, but in the midwest it would be more useable.

I'm from Wyoming. Part of my problem with researching these engines is I can't find the weight either. They're really small though so I figured they might be feasible. The new polaris engines are around 2800 CCs. I know that's not very comparable since that's a gas 2 stroke, but they might be fairly similar in weight. I'm not sure.

I'm from Wyoming. Part of my problem with researching these engines is I can't find the weight either. They're really small though so I figured they might be feasible. The new polaris engines are around 2800 CCs. I know that's not very comparable since that's a gas 2 stroke, but they might be fairly similar in weight. I'm not sure.

Either way, it would be a hellva lot of fun. Certainly not something you see everyday! I could see it working, but it would be a trail sled. Where at in Wyoming? You've got me curious now as well, I wish I could be of some help.

I'm in the Southwest corner near Utah. I'm getting should be getting my bachelor's this Spring and am going to get a diesel tech certificate next Fall.

I just think it'd be cool to be able to have the torque of a diesel because it'd help a ton in deep, thick powder. Plus, most people drive diesels to tow with so having a diesel sled would mean automatic cool points, haha. If I could get a mechanical vgt actuator and an appropriately sized vgt, I think one of these could at least keep up with newer sleds and get way better mileage.

It will sink out of site in powder... With the extra weight lack of hp and rpm all it will do is trench. But yes its been done with yahmar turbo diesels and others that size and they arent breaking any speed records by any means.

turbo diesel...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_T2xK7pI9zA&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_T2xK7pI9zA&feature=related[/ame]

turbo gas :hehe:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSkP5OYbtlY&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSkP5OYbtlY&feature=related[/ame]

Well if you look at the engines I posted, most of them have a lot more power than that gutless daihatsu. After putting a bigger vgt on and a bigger injection pump, I bet one of those engines would put close to 150 hp and at easily break 200 ft-lbs if not closer to 250. Also, do you know how much 4 stroke yammer hamers weigh (sorry if I offended anyone in the yamaha camp, it's all in good fun ;) )? They're hefty sleds. Check the engines I posted though. If anyone could find out how much one of these weight, that'd be awesome! Also, I don't know if the PE-A pump bosch makes comes in a 3 cylinder variant because they list being able to affix them to 2-12 cylinder engines (the engines I posted are 3 cylinders...), but a 6 cylinder one would definitely work. I'd just have to run two lines per cylinder... which would be fun.

Well all I know is that I wouldnt want the TDI out of my Beetle in my sled (plus it wouldnt fit plus the dry weight is 300lbs)... Cool project but its more novelty than practical.

Last edited:
Well those motors are all ~1.2L engines. The TDI in your beetle is 2.0L and probably quite a bit bigger because it's a 4 cylinder rather than a 3 cylinder.

Well if you look at the engines I posted, most of them have a lot more power than that gutless daihatsu. After putting a bigger vgt on and a bigger injection pump, I bet one of those engines would put close to 150 hp and at easily break 200 ft-lbs if not closer to 250. Also, do you know how much 4 stroke yammer hamers weigh (sorry if I offended anyone in the yamaha camp, it's all in good fun ;) )? They're hefty sleds. Check the engines I posted though. If anyone could find out how much one of these weight, that'd be awesome! Also, I don't know if the PE-A pump bosch makes comes in a 3 cylinder variant because they list being able to affix them to 2-12 cylinder engines (the engines I posted are 3 cylinders...), but a 6 cylinder one would definitely work. I'd just have to run two lines per cylinder... which would be fun.

Yamaha lists the Vectors dry weight at ~575. 2010+ are 1050cc 3 cylinder with around 125 HP. I can lift the motor out of the sled by myself pretty easy.

I'm pretty sure there is a Michigan collage that does that clean snowmobile challenge every year, already I know snow goer magazine featured it every year. Im pretty sure some boys with a diesel powered Polaris won a few years back

Two stroke diesels absolutely need a super charger to run. That's a lot of weight for a sled. It might sink in just regular snow. Where are you going for diesel tech? Uvu has a great program IMO

Sent from my iPhone during class

besides gee wizz factor i dont see the point, everything you want in a sled motor is everything a diesel is not,

lightweight
east to start in cold
high revving
high horsepower
and somewhat easy to fix if you get stuck 20 or more miles out

dont get me wrong the neato factor is there but besides that i dont see it.

1.9... I own it and service it

Sorry about the tenth of a liter. The new engines are 2.0L so I assumed yours was too.

Yep UW participates every year as well SAE Challenge... Electric is the new contender. Diesel sleds were kinda a one or two year wonder...

SAE Collegiate Design Series: Clean Snowmobile Challenge: Team Websites

Yeah, that's what made me want to do this only do it much better. That sled is slower than molasses in January.

besides gee wizz factor i dont see the point, everything you want in a sled motor is everything a diesel is not,

lightweight
east to start in cold
high revving
high horsepower
and somewhat easy to fix if you get stuck 20 or more miles out

dont get me wrong the neato factor is there but besides that i dont see it.

I'm going to go to a community college here somewhere. It's cheap and the two I'm looking at have good programs. If I can find a small enough engine and up the power enough, ideally the weight differential will be small and the power would be fun.