Diesel Snowmobile Conversion Possibilities

we used a 900cc 3 cylinder yanmar out of a refer unit rated at 22hp stock. and a turbo from a 84 yamaha 550.. for our golf cart.. runs pretty good and is maybe 100lbs but i dont think enough for a snow machine

Definitely not, haha. There's a really funny video of a guy in a really old ski doo with a low output diesel in it.

I think that your best bet for an engine is one out of a Canadian or European smart car.
They are already a slant oriented engine, common rail, light, factory turbocharged, and make decent power.
With a stand alone ECM, larger vgt, and bigger nozzles, I've heard of them getting close to 100 hp out of them.

Thing is 100HP for a snowmobile engine is ok for a trail machine. I would be curious how the torque compares. That might make the thing a semi hot trail machine.

One other problem I was thinking about is using stock style clutches and belt. Most sleds cluth engagement speed is 3500-4000. Touring sleds can be down around 2200-2500. What kind of rpms do those little diesels turn?

One other problem I was thinking about is using stock style clutches and belt. Most sleds cluth engagement speed is 3500-4000. Touring sleds can be down around 2200-2500. What kind of rpms do those little diesels turn?

If they can fab up the mounts for the diesel, picking the right springs and weights shouldn't be an issue, but it is something consider.

Thing is 100HP for a snowmobile engine is ok for a trail machine. I would be curious how the torque compares. That might make the thing a semi hot trail machine.

I was kind of thinking a skandic or a bear cat would be the setup, Starting with a Utility sled would give one a little more room for error with the weight.

I guess it would be cool to build a little diesel that would rip on the trail, but its probably going to handle like a big 4 stroke and run like a little fan sled.

I know they can rev to 5-6k but idk about reliably enough for a sled...

I have an IDI NA 1600cc VW diesel with a VE pump. I can pick it up myself but it must weigh close to, if not more than, 200lbs...

maybe to tow the groomer with...but when a cat z1/f1100 turbo can make 290hp with 114 octane and a tuner....

btw if you look up haydays 2011 outlaw. 3.95 139mph 500ft.

Diesel sled would be awesome, but you have to remember it has to rev constantly over 3-4k to keep clutch engaged, and keep revs high to keep track speed up, unless you're relying on torque and high gearing for speed. I only mention this because I don't know what the rev limits are of the motors you posted.

That 100lb motor that was mentioned would be sweet. Even if you only make 100hp with it, that's still more than most sleds came with until the mid 90's. And still be light enough for powder. Itd be really awesome on trails though.

sent from my phone

Edit: I was way late on that LOL. Stupid tapatalk

Last edited:
Diesel sled would be awesome, but you have to remember it has to rev constantly over 3-4k to keep clutch engaged, and keep revs high to keep track speed up, unless you're relying on torque and high gearing for speed. I only mention this because I don't know what the rev limits are of the motors you posted.

That 100lb motor that was mentioned would be sweet. Even if you only make 100hp with it, that's still more than most sleds came with until the mid 90's. And still be light enough for powder. Itd be really awesome on trails though.

sent from my phone

Clutching isn't a concern, and if your creative you can do the direct drive(no chaincase) that have been used on sleds.

sent from my phone

Edit: I was way late on that LOL. Stupid tapatalk

Well most diesels have a 2:1 torque to horsepower ratio and the ones I listed are really close to that. Most 2 stroke gas engines have really low torque. It's kind of hard to find torque numbers because all the go-fast junkies think only horsepower is important *facepalm* Anyways, my brother is really into sleds and he said the new polaris rmks have around 80 ft-lbs... with 160 hp. I think a 100 hp / 200 ft-lbs diesel would definitely give a sled like that a run for it's money if weights were similar and whatnot.

Clutching isn't a concern, and if your creative you can do the direct drive(no chaincase) that have been used on sleds.

What sleds are you referring to with direct drive? If we just used heavier duty primaries and helices, I think a stock cvt could handle the output. I'd be willing to break it and fix it if I can get a sled put together, haha. Also, this is the company I'd probably get an engine from. They seem to have everything.
http://www.canadaengines.com/domestic_and_import_engines.html
Also, here's the engine I was talking about putting a bigger injection pump and vgt on. It fits really nicely in this bike and I bet I could eke out a bit more power out of it than they are trying to make.
http://thekneeslider.com/archives/2005/07/06/star-twin-responds-to-thunder-star-questions/
http://www.vw3literlupoclub.com/1200_TDI_motorfiets.html

There is a local machine shop close to me that is in the process of building a sled with a 3 cylinder kubota turbo charged and hydraulic driven I don't know how it will work but it will be interesting

Dude look up rotary diesel engines them things will spin 6k and be safe at 5k all day long they r pretty small, I have seen one on youtube in a boat but i cant find it now, it looked small mayb that would work. That and you would be in a whole new catagory of werid stuff

There is a local machine shop close to me that is in the process of building a sled with a 3 cylinder kubota turbo charged and hydraulic driven I don't know how it will work but it will be interesting

That sounds interesting. Keep me updated if you don't mind.

Dude look up rotary diesel engines them things will spin 6k and be safe at 5k all day long they r pretty small, I have seen one on youtube in a boat but i cant find it now, it looked small mayb that would work. That and you would be in a whole new catagory of werid stuff

As far as I know, there are no production rotary diesel engines in production yet. There's a company in the process of designing ones for pickups or cars, but it's still in R&D phases.

Farmallgray (I think is the user name on compd) has a small kubota (iirc) diesel, in his pulling garden tractor, and he figures it makes around 75-100hp. He would probably be a good one to talk to.

Back