Diesels dont like to run on Premium...

AKDuramax

Rice-Burner Burner
On my way home from work, I swung into Safeway to fill up the beast. Pulled up to the pump, swiped the card, grabbed the DIESEL nozzle, and filled her up while checking oil, etc. Fired it up, put it in drive, made it 50yards, started sputtering and coughing, heard a banging noise. Shut it down, and started tinkering around. Pulled the fuel filter, and it was full of GASOLINE. Some dumbass fuel truck driver filled the diesel tanks, which are on the other side of the lot from the gas storage tanks, with Premium. Trucks at the shop, gonna tear into it tomorrow...I'm Pissed.:soap: I hope those S.O.B's are ready to buy me new injectors...wether i need them or not.

I know it's a pain but it won't hurt it. My daughter filled one of my dodges with e-85. They aught to pay for the fuel and getting it cleaned plus whatever expenses were incured while your truck is down. How many trucks did they get before it was caught?

Hopefully you got your money back, filling up that tank probably cost more than new injectors!!!

Why do you shut your truck off when you fill up?

It makes it easier to check the oil with the motor off

Sorry i couldnt resist

Phily 911 said:
Hopefully you got your money back, filling up that tank probably cost more than new injectors!!!

Why do you shut your truck off when you fill up?
Why don't you?... Lets see, because in some states a lil-nazi comes running out of his booth yelling and screaming at you to "shut that off!", in others they actually pump your fuel for you and they tell you to turn it off. If you had to fill the main tank, pluss a 100 gallon aug tank why waist more fuel wating the 20 minutes to fill up? Good 'ol #2 isn't getting any cheaper...

That sucks! Hope it isn't too costly for ya!

And if a little nazi ever comes out and starts yelling at me to turn my engine off I'll tell him to get back to selling malt liquor and dirty magazines or I'll light his turbine on fire. :kick: :hehe:

yea...I'd be pushing for a whole new fuel system at least with the possibility of an engine rebuild. If it takes it, go to court. You WILL win and you will get your money whether it be from the gas station or the fuel company.

But here lies the problem...where do you stop repairing the real damage and when do you start being a rear end about it? I'm sure the system wasn't designed for gasoline and some things maybe have been damaged. But to get a whole new engine and new fuel system and some new tires would not be very honest.... but who's counting.... :D

4x4dually said:
But here lies the problem...where do you stop repairing the real damage and when do you start being a rear end about it? I'm sure the system wasn't designed for gasoline and some things maybe have been damaged. But to get a whole new engine and new fuel system and some new tires would not be very honest.... but who's counting.... :D

Nice...:hehe: While we're at it I could use some new synchro's in my NV5600LOL

Anyone had an oh @#$% at the new BP stations?
They just opened 3-4 around my area and all the pump handles are green.
Already heard of 3 trucks that have filled up with gas. But they were all women drivers.
Friend of mine did fill his diesel grasshopper mower up with gas though.
I've taken it upon myself to let the manager know my feelings about this issue and she said she will contact her corprate boss to see if they can change the handles.
Friggin tie wearing freaks won't care.

I always... ALWAYS check that it's diesel. You may look funny, but sniff the nozzle.

I don't see how anyone makes the mistake of putting gasoline into a diesel, unless it was a situation such as this one. The smell is very distinct for each fuel.

I leave my truck running when fueling up probably 60-70% of the time. Usually because I roll up and I like to wait for shut down. I leave it running a lot when filling up in the winter. I've never had anyone run out and tell me to shut my truck off, and no one around me has ever said anything.

As for getting a whole new engine, come on.....it's not going F up the entire engine. Whatever is damaged is the only thing that they are liable to repair, and the only thing you should get repaired. That's basically fraud, and stealing IMO. How many times have you seen someone on these boards get pissed for getting a hitch, or weights stolen from a sled pull. It's all the same, lack of integrity, and if you do things like that you're nothing but an immature child. We're all human and make mistakes that we did not intend to, such as the person responsible for the fuel tank mix up.

What if it pre-ignited and started melting pistons? Would you then just want the pistons replaced and not the whole shebang? I say it needs to be torn down, looked over to see whats wrong, then fix what needs to be.

I never said they shouldn't look into the engine to make sure there was no damage to anything, I simply said demanding a new engine up front is ridiculous.

Well, they have to drain and flush my entire fuel system, and it f'd up the number 1,3,and 5 injectors, but to be safe, I'm gonna get a whole set...Maybe some stage 5's:evil

They got my truck, couple 7.3's, a dmax, and a Kenworth with a CAT before they caught it. I aint goin there again, but they're buying me 40 gallons of #2. Ugh. Wont have the truck for a week or so...Gotta drive the VW.:bang

I'm thinking about telling them to yank the head off and make sure nothing else is messed up. Should i have them check the VP?

Last edited:
FireMed said:
It makes it easier to check the oil with the motor off

Sorry i couldnt resist

Blue Chip Diesel claims that 99% of VP44 failures happen in the first 20 Minutes of start up. Also I believe that starting a engine is a wear factor, much more than the 5 minutes of idleing it takes to fill it up. Also Cummins claims you won't be able to get a acurate reading on your oil until it's sat for AT LEAST 5 minutes.

Sorry couldn't resist.