Diesels dont like to run on Premium...

They won't even turn the pump on untill you shut it off around here.
Also a pretty good chance that if it didn't kill it, it definately took a crap load of life out of your VP-44

Rob_Bones said:
Why don't you?... Lets see, because in some states a lil-nazi comes running out of his booth yelling and screaming at you to "shut that off!", in others they actually pump your fuel for you and they tell you to turn it off. If you had to fill the main tank, pluss a 100 gallon aug tank why waist more fuel wating the 20 minutes to fill up? Good 'ol #2 isn't getting any cheaper...

Uhm sorry never ran into any of that around here*. I thought it was a honest question. I was wrong.

*Nobody every has told me to shut my truck off. I've actually never knew they still paid people to pump gas for someone.

Every area is different. Now I know.

Phily 911 said:
Blue Chip Diesel claims that 99% of VP44 failures happen in the first 20 Minutes of start up. Also I believe that starting a engine is a wear factor, much more than the 5 minutes of idleing it takes to fill it up. Also Cummins claims you won't be able to get a acurate reading on your oil until it's sat for AT LEAST 5 minutes.

Sorry couldn't resist.

thats nice that cummins says that but next time you fill up (when your truck is at operating temps) Hop out, put the nozzle in the tank and get the fuel going, pop the hood and check the oil. Less than 5 min. Then wait the rest of the 5 min and see how much difference there is. Most people that check the oil know that there is a little left over but not enough to matter. When i check mine im more worried if it would be down a quart, not an 1/16 of a quart.

Gas wont hurt a thing, just wont combust in a compression ignition engine. Sometimes in the winter i put 3-4 gallons of gas for every 35 gallon fillup. Cleans all the soot out and i have heard it helps to keep the fuel from gelling. No problems yet, infact i think the truck runs smoother with some gas then with the new low sulfer stuff. But not a well as off road.:banned:

FireMed said:
thats nice that cummins says that but next time you fill up (when your truck is at operating temps) Hop out, put the nozzle in the tank and get the fuel going, pop the hood and check the oil. Less than 5 min. Then wait the rest of the 5 min and see how much difference there is. Most people that check the oil know that there is a little left over but not enough to matter. When i check mine im more worried if it would be down a quart, not an 1/16 of a quart.

Oh I see, there must be no reason to leave a truck running when filling up with Diesel fuel then.

I've heard stories of old two-stroke detroits running away, from the gas fumes caused by the tanker trucks when they are filling the holding tanks. I don't know how much truth is behind them but thats the rumor on the street.

-Rob

I'd push to at least get a new vp. Gas has little to no lubricity which will severely shorten the life span of the vp-44. Who is going to pay for it the gas station or trucking company?

I have a hard time believing the injectors where hurt my girlfriend did once on my VP and it didnt hurt a thing still got over 120000 out of a VP and if you only made it 50 Yards couldnt have dont that much if any damage.

We had a customer here come in on the hooks, with a tank of Unleaded after filling up at a diesel pump. He had approx 60%#2 and the rest unleaded. I am not sure how far he drove it, but it did wreck his VP. The fuel supplier paid us to drop the tank, as well as a new lift pump and VP-44. Keep your receipt! Jeremy.

Rob_Bones said:
I've heard stories of old two-stroke detroits running away, from the gas fumes caused by the tanker trucks when they are filling the holding tanks. I don't know how much truth is behind them but thats the rumor on the street.

-Rob

If a Idleing 2 stroke is running away on gas fumes I'd be glad I didn't shut it off because I'm sure the starter would most likely ignite the fumes.

It could be possible if the truck was at the end pump and the tanker was there off loading but everything would have to be perfect for it to happen. possibly a very hot day with wind blowing toward the front of the truck where the intake is and the concentration of fuel vapors was high enough.

As in the starter igniting it, anything is possible. Whats the flash point of gas... something like -40 IIRC. Then you would still have to have the vapors in the explosive limits which would be hard to do.

Got my truck back...Turns out my injectors were fine. Fuel company paid for everything. the shop told me to make sure that i fill up with diesel and mwere giving me crap about how dumb it would look when i sniff the nozzle...They said keep an eye on my fuel pressure and bring it back in a few weeks to check the vp again or something.