Differential Cover

BC06PSD

Hairless Cat Aficionado
I just towed my camper to Disney World and back which is about a 1800 mile round trip. My camper is about 10k dry. I figure with 3 kids, a holding tank full of water (at my wifes request), and enough food and stuff for a week, I was probably at 21k lbs total counting my truck.

On the way there I noticed my diff cover looked and felt really hot. All of the paint burned off and there was small indications of oil leaks and each of the cover bolts. I checked the oil level after it cooled off and it seemed alright to me. Since the trip there has been no indications of damage to the diff. No sounds, vibrations, or slack.

The question is do you think I should take the cover off and check it out? Is this normal and nothing to worry about?

Thanks

Pretty much normal. Most of the rear covers are missing the paint and are rusted. I usually check the fluid level after driving around for a bit. Since the fluid travels out to the tubes to lube the hub bearings. So if you do change the fluid double check the level after it settles out to the axles.

I don't know about you guys, but burning paint off the cover doesn't sound normal to me... I'd take a fluid sample.

Kleetus...... if you have ever pulled heavy you'd know. This is very common, probably why syn fluid is recomended. ;)

i only know TWO ways to solve this problem...spend 250+ on a mag-hytec
cover (plus 10bucks per quart for the royal purple 75w-140) youll need
about 5.5 quarts btw.

or slap a 40dollar, 2008 alum. finned factory cover on it...youll need 3 quarts
to refill....i went w/ the factory 08 finned cover myself...

http://www.dieselmanor.com/motorcraft/FD-3Z4033A.asp

I've pulled plenty of heavy loads, not in this truck though, but in plenty of older machines... and ones a lot larger and less precise. I've had them plenty hot enough to burn you if you touch it, but never had the paint or grease burn off.

You should already have synthetic there from the factory, front axle gets regular dino... You might try something call MT-10 from muscle products. It's actually a turbine lube additive, but it's some great stuff.

Like your tag line, and I agree.

Funny you mention that, the older trucks didn't seem to have this flaking paint problem. I have noticed that the newer trucks do this quite often but the older trucks not so much. I wonder if it has something to do with the EPA, paint content and thickness?

could be lousy paint... hadn't really thought of that. Friggin' bunny huggers have screwed everything else up, why not this??

my 96 f150 (5.0 gasser) had a cover on it that was
either Bakelite or fiberglass...i dont remember for the life of
me which...but it was NOT metal.

I have an 05 dually.....do I have the Dana 80?

It has an "80" on the pinion side raised in the casting.

ANYBODY know?????

Thanks.

My '02 F-350 SRW got hot and burned the paint off. Pulling a trailer from NM to S.Tex. in about 9 hours. Hauling the load is what I was told.

Does the 08 cover have any ACTUAL benefits,...IE...holds more fluid, or a noticeable decrease in temp(aluminum)?

TANKS 250 said:
Does the 08 cover have any ACTUAL benefits,...IE...holds more fluid, or a noticeable decrease in temp(aluminum)?

it holds the same amount of fluid...basically...it holds right at 3 quarts
(w/ the 08 cover).

the ALUM. will disapate the heat better and the FINS act as
a heat sink to WICK away the heat even faster...it IS an improvment
over the stock cover.

and it looks good too ;)

its also 200 bucks CHEAPER than the mag-hytec's (which require
two additional quarts)

My 06 f350 dually with the tow boss pkg. came with a finned alum. cover from the factory. So there is another option if the 08 cover you're thinking of doesn't fit the 05 dually.

bushpilot said:
i only know TWO ways to solve this problem...spend 250+ on a mag-hytec
cover (plus 10bucks per quart for the royal purple 75w-140) youll need
about 5.5 quarts btw.

or slap a 40dollar, 2008 alum. finned factory cover on it...youll need 3 quarts
to refill....i went w/ the factory 08 finned cover myself...

http://www.dieselmanor.com/motorcraft/FD-3Z4033A.asp

:hehe: I called Ford dealer today with a price of over 80 bucks with the bolts.LOL

Back