Differential Removal

Buck88

Simple Man
I'm in the middle of doing the front axle seals. I've got everything out except the differential. I've never pulled a diff out, so this is new stuff to me. Do I need to pull the yoke? What size is the nut, 34mm? Also, is there bearings that have to come out as well? Thanks guys, Buck

if your just trying to pull out the carrier and ring gear the yoke can stay in the housing.
pull the collar for the cad out and pull the 4 outside bolts (2 on each side of carrier) and slide the carrier out. watch for your shims remember which side is which there is two bearings and cups (one on each side)

if you want to replace the pinion seal you dont need to pull the carrier or pinion. just pull the nut off and yoke and pry old seal out clean and replace new seal . if you pull the pinion out there is a bearing and shims there also.

Can I ask why you are doing the seals?

If you did wheel bearings or had the stub axles out, many times the seals will leak for awhile afterwards. Also many of us tend to overfill the differential. It then spills over the seals after you pull the axles out. Then it dribbles out of the axle tubes for awhile. I think mine took about 500 miles before it quit. I just kept checking the differential fluid and it didn't drop.

It can save you a whole lot of trouble.

Paul

Can I ask why you are doing the seals?

If you did wheel bearings or had the stub axles out, many times the seals will leak for awhile afterwards. Also many of us tend to overfill the differential. It then spills over the seals after you pull the axles out. Then it dribbles out of the axle tubes for awhile. I think mine took about 500 miles before it quit. I just kept checking the differential fluid and it didn't drop.

It can save you a whole lot of trouble.

Paul

Well, it turns out the seals were fine.:bang I thought that you fill the diff all the way to the fill plug, but not the case, 1/2" below it. So I basically wasted 3 days and about $200.:bang I wish I would've known this info before!

Anyways, thanks for the responses. I got it pretty much back together now and it'll be done in the morning.

Yea, but think of everything you have learned :bang

How do you think the rest of us know about these things anyway. We either learn by experience or experience the learning of others. I've found the latter to usually be cheaper for me and sometimes more fun to watch.

Ask me about the time the tip of a magnet came off the holder while trying to do a GSK and ended up in the pump. Talk about "pucker" factor.

We've all been there or we're headed in that direction. Worst would have been you would have done the seals and it still would have leaked. Expect that it will for a while as the axle tubes are full or fluid.

Glad I could help, sorry it was too late.

Paul

Well, just got done, waiting for the RTV to cure, then I'll fill it up. I have to say that although it was a waste of money, I learned some stuff, and gained some experience. I've never worked with a differential before, and now I understand better. Thanks, Buck