Disc Brake Conversion

greencummins

Just picked up a disc brake axle for my 01 out of an 01.5, wondering if anyone has done this swap. Ive read that the proportioning valve is the same or not different enough that you need to change it but what about the master cylinder? change the whole master or just the reservoir? Whats the best method to hook up the E brake?

Thanks guys

-Jake

Just picked up a disc brake axle for my 01 out of an 01.5, wondering if anyone has done this swap. Ive read that the proportioning valve is the same or not different enough that you need to change it but what about the master cylinder? change the whole master or just the reservoir? Whats the best method to hook up the E brake?

Thanks guys

-Jake

i wonder this same thing. i just converted my 95 to rear disc brakes and was wondering if i needed to change the master also as i have a very spongy pedal now. would a disc brake master from a 2002 work on my 95?

you will need a disc/disc proportioning valve. otherwise the rears will lock up before the front do to the retained pressure from the disc/drum proportioning valve.

Hell no! The front should do 75% of the braking unless you have a load on the back.

this....! op, ever had the rears lock up on something before the fronts?! makes for an interesting ride!

I swapped in a D80 with discs over the D70 with drums. Just hooked everything up and works good, except never hooked up the parking brake. Its a 99' and I have no idea what truck the D80 came from.

I did the same thing as Limited did including not hooking up the e-brake. Never locked the rear up. I tied the arm of the bed level sensing valve up as high as it would go & has worked great for over 5 years. Just had to shorten drive shaft and new ubolts.

I have a 2000 3500 DRW. Can i go to the parts store and convert to a rear disk brake setup off of a 2002? If I bought the caliper brackets, calipers, and rotors etc... Will it bolt in place of the rear drums? Sorry to hijack...

I am getting ready to do a disc brake conversion this weekend. I bought another D80 out of a wreck to get all the parts. IDK for sure but I think u need a different hub for the rotors and you need the backing plate with the parking brake shoes, different brake lines, different parking brake cables, and probably different wheel bearings. I will know for sure in a day or two.

Then what do you have to do to convert drum to disc on the pre 2001 D80? i really dont want to buy a newer axle.

Buy the over priced kit from EGR brakes. I think.its around $1200. If you can find one a.disk 80 should be cheeper or about the same price.

I think I paid around $500 for the complete D80 with discs. Not sure it's been a while.