DIY Injector Build

GREGROB

CUMMINGS KILLER
First off, I want to thank Jim @ www.diy-injectors.com
The kit I recieved from him was top notch, he put up with my questions for months before I bought. He is very knowledgeable and helpful. I see he now has pre-built injectors if the DIY part doesn't suit you, I'm sure he is as capable as anyone out there building injectors, in fact I know he is.

Ok, now for the build. I swapped my friend my injectors for the inectors he has in his 97. So we took AD's from my 02, transplanted to 97, and reverse.
He gets 50 more cc's of fuel without spending a dime. I get AA codes to mod with only 30,000 miles on them, brand new from Alliant last year.

The build overall went pretty smooth. It is time consuming, but I didn't even need the instructions after the second one. If you can put together a model car, you can do this. In fact it's easier. I don't know if I ever made it all the way through a model, but this was a complete success.

Here are some pics. The first link is purely technical pics of the complete process. You can get the kit, and follow these pics through and I'm confident you could get er done.
Don't get me wrong. Jim provides detailed instructions, and a very helpful CD of high res photos to walk you through the install, and that it does. I took a few more pics at different stages, and highlighted a few more things in the hope that it will make it easier for you if you decide to mod your own injectors.
Second link is just general pics of the install.
Got a video of me gettin owned by some oil squirtin out of the cylinder too. Not sure I should post that.... :doh:

Injector Build Process
http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2239351000083164471dMEFfS

General Install Pics
http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2459191570083164471wYzSCR

Thanks to my friens Jess, Cole, and Chase for the help too.

Last edited:
The links say the pics have moved. Where did they move to?!LOL

Greg, YOu should have gone bigger. I went for the full monty and my truck's still togehter. Got my Rods on order. :D

Mad_Matt said:
Greg, YOu should have gone bigger. I went for the full monty and my truck's still togehter. Got my Rods on order. :D

Believe me Matt, if I had rods on order and a spare block I wouldn't be near as nervous. I just want a good solid 400 rwhp, low smoke and wide powerband.

I'm in the same boat. Don't want to break the bottom but I also want to walk the fine line. We seel if it lasts till spring. Now you just need a charger and you'll be set for a long while. That moded stocker you have won't hold up forever. A nice big cooler will also help you in the long run by droping Back pressure and temps. That will help reduce CPs a bit.

Yep. I want a Spearco/TN. It'll just take a bit for the wallet to recover. :aiwebs_029:

I know there are @ least 2 kits available now. 2 7.3 and 2 6.0 kits. Let me know if you want one I may be able to have it earmarked until the stockings are cleaned out and the checks are deposited. :woohoo:

That's pretty cool. So if you are doing this yourself what upgrades would be available and a good idea. I know the list of performance upgrades is probably pretty long but for the guy who is looking for mild power is a DIY rebuild and upgrade worthwhile?

thetonka said:
That's pretty cool. So if you are doing this yourself what upgrades would be available and a good idea. I know the list of performance upgrades is probably pretty long but for the guy who is looking for mild power is a DIY rebuild and upgrade worthwhile?

Anyone?

Do you mean option as far as how you can build the injectors?
Above 180cc the injectors can require more machining than just the open end of the intensifier piston.

The other big thing you can do are nozzles. You can have your stock 7 hole nozzles EDM'd or Extrude Honed to open them up and make a ton more power.
You can also use 530 5-hole nozzles

That would cover most combos for a "Stage 1 or Stage 2" injectors.
You could also convert your injectors to big hybrids and add a nozzle for some serious power. Probably get 450-500 with those AND the requisite supporting fuel and air mods. Hybrids work fine with stock HPOP but can benefit from big oil as well.

Gregrob,
How long did the diy process take? Is it a day job? Weekend? Is it fairly easy, or a long tedious process? Seems like it might be fun to do my own injectors, especially if I can do it without too much fear of screwing it up. Thanks for the info.
Jim

The whole process took the better part of a day for me. I did do more than just the injectors though.

Just pulling the injectors, building them, and replacing, I would give yourself 6-8hrs. A good saturday/weekend should be plenty of time.

nice job greg... well done with the step by step... hell i just want to try it...

Thanks biggie!

:what:
What's gotten into you? You're bein way too nice, it's kinda scary. :poke:

:hehe: JK

I will dyno soon and have some before/after numbers.
Only thing is, I also did the Terminator HPOS since my last dyno. I do expect to be much higher.
Dyno with stock inj's was 313/707
I'd like to get into the neighborhood of 385/1000tq
Some say never with the stock turbo and tranny, we shall see.

SOP is so totally different that stock inj's and just a chip.
Even with the singles before I did the Terminator, it made a huge difference, and the burns on the chip at the time were for the pump AND the injectors, so timing was retarded a bit, etc.

With the Terminator I can now clean up my extreme setting (I call it a 160 extreme), but if I lug it down, holy cow the smoke frickin rolls.
Thick black hot nasty smoke, perfect for those rude ricers who ride my bumer so close all I can see is that retarded APC sticker on their windshield. :eek:wned:

Greg, when you rebuilt them, you just took old, rebuilt and put them back in? I'm guessing you didn't get them flow tested to make sure they flowed near equal? will keep an eye on your dyno numbers. When ya get the bucks, you'll like the TN replacement - it will help clean up the smoke a little.

I actually built Aliant AA's that had only about 30K on them.
My AD injectors are now in my friend's OBS.
I did not flow test.