DIY port & polish

Looking for a better flow and was wondering how hard it is to port & polish the exhaust side of the head & what kind of tools will be necessary. I've got a spare engine sitting at the house & if it's not ungodly difficult I'd like to do it then swap heads between the two.

I would port both sides. Intake pocket and exhaust pocket. And exhaust runner. If you have no experience in doing a port job, be careful. You can get in trouble in no time.

Ha I have none but before I do it I will be researching it I'm depth, just starting that part of things, which is why I asked thanks for the help on how far to go now just self teaching the how part.

I'm going to pop the head off of mine and want to do the same thing to mine. Just not 100% sure how much to open it up. I've done SBC's and BBC's where you remove a little material and port match and basically just smooth it out. But is this even worth doing? How were you going to do yours?

I've never ported anything, so was looking for advice it'll be an end of summer project so I'm trying to research and learn as much as possible before I pull the head on that other motor & do it. Probably do springs and cam when I do just because, well why not.

thanks for the feedback guys, searching for pics and videos trying to make sure I know what I'm getting into before I jump off the deep end

Thanks for the heads up:woohoo:. There ain't much out there as far as a how-to video on the internet so threads & forums are about the main source of info so far.

I would take it to someone thats knows what they are doing. And has done Cummins heads before. Thats why its worth the money to have it done.

As a person that ports Cummins heads, i will not give out info on how to do it. I learned by years of experience. So good luck to you!

Diehard Ram, I understand your point of view and if I had the money to send it off I would in a heart beat but as a college student that's one thing that is always short, which is why I am looking into doing it myself.

You are going to spend a lot of time doing it yourself. Then what happens if you take to much off then your head is done. Just keep saving to have it done right

Make it match the gasket.

Mine isn't gasket matched and flows a ton more over stock. I was going to do mine by myself then ended sending it up to Joe In Plover Wi. Ported, valve job, back cut valves, and flow tested. Then with how many heads he has done i didnt second guess driving up there.

To the OP, I've been through how you feel especially in college. Lol patience is key I had my truck for a year and a half through tech school before I did anything, that being said, if you do want to do it be careful and make sure it will run afterwards... I would take mine to sheid or someone who is very reputable in porting and machining..

I took mine to a local shop that does a lot of pulling tractors. He ported the bowls and removed that filter knob from the intake plenum for less than $400. Cut my times by a little more than .3 sec. Easily the best $400 I've spent on the truck.

I intend to do my own very soon. I've got the whole engine pulled, head will be coming off soon. 24v though.

I've got a 24v too ghostman if you do it let me know how it turns out and possibly get some pics of it