DLC coating wrist pins.

RonA

I've been reading up on it a bit but i haven't found out how much it builds up.
Has anyone had parts done by Richter Precision in PA? I'm hoping I can polish a set down slightly and then have them brought back up to size with this, or a similar process.

Last edited:
Richter Precision was recommended to me. I thought they were in MI? DLC should only be a few microns thick... Check with the coater, their process could vary.

Pay attention to the last paragraph

Peer-reviewed research published in scholarly journals has established that the increases in lifetimes of articles coated with DLC that wear out because of abrasion can be described by the formula f = (g)µ, where g is a number that characterizes the type of DLC, the type of abrasion, the substrate material and μ is the thickness of the DLC coating in μm.[8] For "low-impact" abrasion (pistons in cylinders, impellers in pumps for sandy liquids, etc.), g for pure ta-C on 304 stainless steel is 66. This means that one-μm thickness (that is ~5% of the thickness of a human hair-end) would increase service lifetime for the article it coated from a week to over a year and two-μm thickness would increase it from a week to 85 years. These are measured values; though in the case of the 2 μm coating the lifetime was extrapolated from the last time the sample was evaluated until the testing apparatus itself wore out.

There are environmental arguments that a sustainable economy ought to encourage articles not engineered to lower performance or to fail prematurely. This in turn will reduce the need to support greater production of units and their frequent replacement, which might provide an economic disincentive to manufacturers of such devices.

Currently there are about 100 outsource vendors of DLC coatings that are loaded with amounts of graphite and hydrogen and so give much lower g-numbers than 66 on the same substrates.

could use a qpq coating (salt bath nitriding ) that way you dont have to worry about dimensions changing and the coating makes parts really slick when oil hits it and also gives a thin surface hardness...

Richter has a good rep... just make sure either you or the coater finishes the wristpins' surface down <2Ra or you'll be installing a very efficient set of round files.

I contacted a place that makes custom wrist pins. Very pleasant, asked for a sample. I sent them a stocker and one of the "high performance" ones I bought a while back for a measley $100 each. They got quite a laugh out of the fancy one and assured me that they did not sub-contract out to the local junior high metal shop.

I contacted a place that makes custom wrist pins. Very pleasant, asked for a sample. I sent them a stocker and one of the "high performance" ones I bought a while back for a measley $100 each. They got quite a laugh out of the fancy one and assured me that they did not sub-contract out to the local junior high metal shop.

enterprise engine made them:shake:

enterprise engine made them:shake:
LOL I thought they were your custom, one-off, can't-find-anywhere-else, unobtainium hypersensitive pins?

Ron, I would also talk with Mike Miller at Trick Titanium if you haven't already.

LOL I thought they were your custom, one-off, can't-find-anywhere-else, unobtainium hypersensitive pins?

Ron, I would also talk with Mike Miller at Trick Titanium if you haven't already.

Never said that, just wanted to clear up WHO accually made them, not that Ron cares, as ive got 20+ sets in opperation now(as Ron recieved them) and he neglected the $100 micro polish upgrade and is now complaining.....

But after two years of use in other builds those same style pins and rod bushings come back looking great during teardown...But then again find a thread where Ron is NOT complaining about a part or product he has purchased.....

Never said that, just wanted to clear up WHO accually made them, not that Ron cares, as ive got 20+ sets in opperation now(as Ron recieved them) and he neglected the $100 micro polish upgrade and is now complaining.....

But after two years of use in other builds those same style pins and rod bushings come back looking great during teardown...But then again find a thread where Ron is NOT complaining about a part or product he has purchased.....

They must have been out of sandpaper at the time because you never mentioned the "micro polish upgrade". How much extra would it cost to have a set made that cleaned up the heat treat surface when they finish lathe turn the od? Dang I'm complaining again like i always do. I keep forgetting that a daily driver build can get by with lower standards.(you said so)

i just think ron expects to get what he pays for. and many find out that they cant get away with crap, because the man knows how to use a mic. how in the hell can any one defend some of the problems he has brought up on this build.

i just think ron expects to get what he pays for. and many find out that they cant get away with crap, because the man knows how to use a mic. how in the hell can any one defend some of the problems he has brought up on this build.

Because Wade is a tool and a troll who runs around offering parts to anyone who he thinks needs them...I posted once about a set of roller rockers a guy had for sale, and I get a PM from Wade telling me he can get them much cheaper and whatever I want. After all the problems I've seen Wade defend on here, I would never buy anything from him, nor let him give me anything.

Ron, best of luck on your continued build....I think if I were you though I would call EEP and get the real scoop on those wrist pins.

Chris

They must have been out of sandpaper at the time because you never mentioned the "micro polish upgrade". How much extra would it cost to have a set made that cleaned up the heat treat surface when they finish lathe turn the od? Dang I'm complaining again like i always do. I keep forgetting that a daily driver build can get by with lower standards.(you said so)

i also offered for you to send them back and i would get them polished,$100 but that never happened...You were just set on causeing internet issues.

Like i said 20+ sets in opperation and NOT ONE isssue(rough cut). AND enterprise runs the same pin finish in there 2000HP builds......... Your big dealin stuff that dont matter. Go back to Laramie4x4 race truck thread, he got the same pins you did, except he elected to go with the micro polish upgrade.

Richter has a good rep... just make sure either you or the coater finishes the wristpins' surface down <2Ra or you'll be installing a very efficient set of round files.

Seems my suspicion was well-founded...

Just what is the finish on your wristpins?

Now I get it. The Micro Polish option is to bring them down to size so they actually fit the pistons. :hehe: Sweet. They ought to send them out with a couple of pieces of sandpaper stuck inside each one to save a trip to the hardware store.

Maybe the micro polish option was the sand paper.RonA it looks like you could of made your own, I know I would at that price.