DLC coating wrist pins.

Now I get it. The Micro Polish option is to bring them down to size so they actually fit the pistons. :hehe: Sweet. They ought to send them out with a couple of pieces of sandpaper stuck inside each one to save a trip to the hardware store.

But then you'll be removing the oil-retention "feature". What then???

Sand them until they fit and then send them back to be "retextured" LOL

I did some cutting on a set of stock pins today. I cut an internal radius from 1.15 diameter at the face to .730 diameter at a point 1.43 deep(just under a 5inch radius). It takes the pins from 694 gr. stock down to 636 gr. Through hole stays the same and if you measure inside the pin at the point where the pin is no longer supported by the piston, it has a wall thickness of .387 instead of the stock .41. Not alot of difference, but still around .75# total for the set.

Attachments

• wristpins.jpg
    wristpins.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Very nice Ron! I still say you charge $500 for them... they're ~8% lighter. That's enough to where you can run aluminum rods! :hehe:

Very nice Ron! I still say you charge $500 for them... they're ~8% lighter. That's enough to where you can run aluminum rods! :hehe:

But it it runs 11.001 with stock pins and 10.999 with 8% lighter pins, I'll be happy I wasted the time.:rockwoot:

But it it runs 11.001 with stock pins and 10.999 with 8% lighter pins, I'll be happy I wasted the time.:rockwoot:
I'll be happy if mine makes one pass this year, regardless of time.

I'm all for the burning of time doing silly things, but just throwing it out there, you shaved 8% off the pin....so what did you do with the rods and pistons?

If you take out 1% of the entire reciprocating mass, uh.......so what?

You are correct, it is a waste of time. But it is not an expensive waste of time. I guess i could drill some holes in my nice shiney Cunningham rods to drop a bit of weight or bevel the inside edges of the piston skirts. Maybe I can get to 2%.

I got another set of pins to do for a friend(5.9 this time). He sent me one he had done by another shop that knows alot more about this than I do. Holy cow! I'm going to take a bit more off.

Take a look into titanium nitride for coatings, used in the motocross industry with better results than DLC.