Dmax breakage at SDX

I heard a rumor he was changing the name of the truck next year from Outta Line to Outta Bounds :poke:

Ben sure did tear a bunch of stuff up. I know he tore up more than just a wheel bearing. I believe he had some other front end damage tore up a u-joint and the rear drive shaft.

Ring n pinion in reAr, right front axle u joint, left front stub axle and wheel bearing. Thats all i know as of now.

The Caged Hooker broke....
rear ring and pinion
rear billet yoke
rear drive shaft
transfer case main shaft
left front cv shaft
left front hub assy
right front slide collar
right front stub axle

Got is back together by 8:00 Saturday morning.
Thanks to all the guys that helped
Merchant
Fleece
Craig
Mathews and his boys

Qualified 4th on sat to run in finals again and broke rear ring and pinion again.......

Rough weekend

No motor problems? I remember seeing a decent amount of white smoke coming out of the stack and from under the hood after the Friday night pass. I bet you guys were stoked there wasn't a pull-off!

and i thougt the fact that pulling with my zf was more rough on my truck than pulling with an allison lol. might just be the fact that im a bad operator and come off the line like crap most of the time.

Sure was a rough first again for the truck, wish it hadnt broke Saturday evening.

Sent from my GT-I9300

The Caged Hooker broke....
rear ring and pinion
rear billet yoke
rear drive shaft
transfer case main shaft
left front cv shaft
left front hub assy
right front slide collar
right front stub axle

Got is back together by 8:00 Saturday morning.
Thanks to all the guys that helped
Merchant
Fleece
Craig
Mathews and his boys

Qualified 4th on sat to run in finals again and broke rear ring and pinion again.......

Rough weekend

I follow Rob's posts a little bit on Facebook, Am I wrong to think consistent Ring and Pinion Failure is a somewhat new development for that truck?

I follow Rob's posts a little bit on Facebook, Am I wrong to think consistent Ring and Pinion Failure is a somewhat new development for that truck?

Him and I don't normally post a ton of the breakage... LOL But in all seriousness the Ring and pinion thing has been a really bad problem for the last 2 or 3 years. Typically we get anywhere from 1 to 6 passes out of a ring gear. If we have a few good hooks in a row might see 2 passes before boom. If the tracks are loose we might get 3 or more.

We have tried almost everything anyone can think of. As always we are open to suggestions.

Him and I don't normally post a ton of the breakage... LOL But in all seriousness the Ring and pinion thing has been a really bad problem for the last 2 or 3 years. Typically we get anywhere from 1 to 6 passes out of a ring gear. If we have a few good hooks in a row might see 2 passes before boom. If the tracks are loose we might get 3 or more.

We have tried almost everything anyone can think of. As always we are open to suggestions.

Well, I'm about the smallest fish there is in the pulling world. But I have never agreed with 2 things, complete lack of back lash, and running a gear set that hard without breaking it in.

I'm sure some guys with solid experience will scoff at my thoughts on the matter. But has anyone tried breaking the gear sets in some how instead of instantly torturing them?

Either way, if you guys are waxing that money is your current supplier giving you a bulk rate ? :D

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

Well, I'm about the smallest fish there is in the pulling world. But I have never agreed with 2 things, complete lack of back lash, and running a gear set that hard without breaking it in.

I'm sure some guys with solid experience will scoff at my thoughts on the matter. But has anyone tried breaking the gear sets in some how instead of instantly torturing them?

Either way, if you guys are waxing that money is your current supplier giving you a bulk rate ? :D

I agree with you... We actually run pretty good backlash with redline oil thinks its....75/250 or something like that. I have always agreed with breaking a ring gear in just don't know the best way to do that with one of these trucks...

And yes on the bulk discount....LOL

I agree with you... We actually run pretty good backlash with redline oil thinks its....75/250 or something like that. I have always agreed with breaking a ring gear in just don't know the best way to do that with one of these trucks...

What brand of gears are you running?

Throwing set of gears in a different truck and putting 500 miles on them would be a PITA. Unless the tow rig is the same ratio. Probably not worth the effort.

I've thought about putting the gears in an oil bath and actually cooking them to try to simulate heat cycles. Haven't tried it yet though.

What brand of gears are you running?

Throwing set of gears in a different truck and putting 500 miles on them would be a PITA. Unless the tow rig is the same ratio. Probably not worth the effort.

I think it would be better and may prolong breakage a pull or two, but even with proper break in I believe the ring and pinion is just being overpowered. It was something I brought up as a concern a few years ago and was laughed at. The writing was on the wall. Gasser trash lived it years ago and they tried all sorts of ways to increase strength (cryo, heat cycling, pre-break in, etc, etc,) and came to the conclusion that there is a "breaking point" and it was being exceded.

Only choice was to pull back power or open up driveline choices. Open up 2.6 driveline and you have a huge jump from Workstock/2.5 to future 2.6. While a group in the mecca would benefit and thrive, overall the sport will suffer. *bdh*

Gasser trash lived it years ago and they tried all sorts of ways to increase strength (cryo, heat cycling, pre-break in, etc, etc,) and came to the conclusion that there is a "breaking point" and it was being exceded.

I was wondering if anyone had tried cryo to see if that helped. But I guess it would do more for prolonging wear which is a non issue in a puller application.

I have tried loose backlash and tight backlash, and this last time I moved the pinion .010" further into the ring gear, knock on wood hasn't broke yet. 7 hooks on this set so far. That being said I doubt we are making the power some of the other trucks are though. All of them have been yukons so far, mainly because they are still being covered by warranty.

Sent from my GT-I9300

Set the pinion deep into the ring gear and make sure to have a thrust bolt in place for the ring gear. Then it's just up to the housing to keep it all in place and the ring gear to not shear the teeth off!!

How many driveline failures occurred at Outlaw events this year?

Anyone have pictures of where this load bolt for the ring gear is placed in a aam housing.

How many driveline failures occurred at Outlaw events this year?

The SRW appeared to help, but there are some variables.

How do the outlaws tracks compare to the tracks that the DRW's hook on?
How are the sleds set?