Dodge intake manifolds which one to use?

walmer

I currently have the motor pulled out of my early 2004 truck & am building up the motor. One of the things i want to do is mill the intake off the head & use an aftermarket one. So need a little advice on which ones to consider & which ones to stay away from.

Thanks

The only kind to make is one you think up. No one (IIRC) has an aftermarket intake that's bolt on.

hellman performance makes a purty one but make sure your sitting down.....
i believe toolmanoffroad on here makes them also
also i remember seeing one on pure diesel powers website.

get a GDP Air Boss and a spool aid from Larimie4X4. Save your self the 3K+ it will cost you to have it all done.

I would use a cnc'ed manifold as they are alot stronger and wont crack like some others when you add dual pumps. Joe Hellmans is very nice.

tableview.JPG

Pretty ambiguous pricing

I don't get what you are getting for what, and what is needed that is outside of the $1200?

It talks about things being available and then gives a PRICE=$1200.

What is the break down of expense and for what part &/or service?

I don't get what you are getting for what, and what is needed that is outside of the $1200?

It talks about things being available and then gives a PRICE=$1200.

What is the break down of expense and for what part &/or service?

Sorry, we should update the description. It comes with the IC pipe also so you just need to shave the head and install it.

get a GDP Air Boss and a spool aid from Larimie4X4. Save your self the 3K+ it will cost you to have it all done.

If you plan on porting intake side of head, side intake is the way to go.
If all your looking to do is get more air, I agree with above.
I made my own spool aid, they work.

I currently have the motor pulled out of my early 2004 truck & am building up the motor. One of the things i want to do is mill the intake off the head & use an aftermarket one. So need a little advice on which ones to consider & which ones to stay away from.

Thanks

A lot of good suggestions here on the intakes.

BUT, unless you are going to port that head and all the intake runners you are wasting your money. The porting on that head after cutting off the intake will be 1k to 2k depending on who does the work and where. So by the time you finish, you will have 3500.00 or more in the head. Is it worth it? Yes, if you are turning 4k plus RPM. For reliability, port and polish the bowls since there is a bit of gain there, look at some elbows and call it a day. MANY members here are making north of 800 HP with a stock head. The money is better spent on a set of twins in my opinion.

Think of it this way....lose a motor and a stock head and not to much to worry about. Lose a motor with a 3500.00 head...ouch!

Last edited:
I have the twins, i just didnt want to burn up a cylinder next year when i put some nos to the motor. I figured i need to be able to move more air flow thru the head to keep cylinder temps down.

I have the twins, i just didnt want to burn up a cylinder next year when i put some nos to the motor. I figured i need to be able to move more air flow thru the head to keep cylinder temps down.

Use water injection to keep temps down. EGT's are really not an indictor as they used to be in the 12v days. If you search this site, some people here have lost motors with less than 1400* egt. What you need to worry about is timing, and with you running NOS timing is critical!

The NOS will help to keep egts down. If you want an extra layer of potection then use water injection. But use water only, no meth as it will increase the timing and with you running NOS timing is critical! Water will act as a buffer and help to control piston temps a bit and keep them down.

The whole head thing is a good idea but if your gonna use it. The money is better spent on other things in my opinion.

Banks unit is better flowing, and cheaper, but limited to a single injection pump unless you can fab up extra pieces to make duals work, which is only a few hours of work...