Does this sound right?

addictedtodezel

My tranny shop is saying it's going to be 750$ to go through my transfer case and fix all the leaks and make sure everythings okay internally and pretty much do a full rebuild. Does this sound right because it seems a little high to me? Labor is around 80$ a hour where I live also. They also said they could just replace the seals and fix the leaks for 450$. Can i get some help?

sounds on the steep end, but i ended up pay around 800-900 which i now know is too much, where are you located i have my np241dhd that was just rebuilt last year that im selling for 500 firm.

What would you say is a reasonable price for the rebuild?
And thanks but no thanks.

Why do you think it needs a rebuild? Is it leaking between the case halves, the output housing seal, tail cone seal, shift detent plug, drain plug, etc? Those are some of the more common places to see leaks.

Well the PO owner of the truck didn't tell me about the transfer case leaking and he didn't even think transfer cases used oil so I drove from Asheville NC to Orlando FL with the transfer case completely empty of oil. It seems to be leaking from the drain plug and some of the seals but I'm not positive.

Well the PO owner of the truck didn't tell me about the transfer case leaking and he didn't even think transfer cases used oil so I drove from Asheville NC to Orlando FL with the transfer case completely empty of oil. It seems to be leaking from the drain plug and some of the seals but I'm not positive.

Why dont you pull the drain plug and see how the fluid looks?

I would but it's in the shop now. I'm going to tell them to take a look inside and if it looks okay to just to fix the leaks. Does anyone know how much it is to do a rebuild or just replace the seals?

Open up the yellow pages or internet and make a few calls to the local junk yards. I'm sure you will be able to find lots of used transfer cases locally. I'm betting you can buy a good used 75-100K mile transfer case for less than that shop wants to rebuild yours. Then you can sell yours for a hundred or two and recoup some of the expense. There are ways to fight back when a shop tries to hose you.

i rebuilt my case for less than $175. new seals and bearings.my chain was good.

its really not very hard at all to do yourself

I just looked it up...Going by shop rates, my info says 5.9 hours to R+R and rebuild it, plus a rebuild kit that is going to be marked up in price so they can make money on parts too. Reseal calls for 4.1hrs plus whatever parts they'll need.

That sounds about normal for shop pricing on a rebuild, just to round it off say 6hrs@$80 per hour would be $480 labor and $270 in parts. Do you know if they're putting a new chain in it as well?

Thanks for that I appreciate it. And there just going to pull it off and replace the seals and check if everythings okay on the inside for 450$ not including replacement parts if it needs them.