Doghouse diesel tuned my truck Saturday

cummins359

...and WOW.

A little idea of what foundation I have on the truck. DDP 120's, PPE dual fuelers, airdog 150, arp 625's, TRE full transmission, Hamilton cams 110# valve springs and severe duty pushrods, 2nd gen manifold and BAtmowheel 66 billet wheel, 5" exhuast with a 51" donaldson muffler. My truck is a 4x4, 4.10's and a dually. I tow and dd this truck so i wanted the best of both worlds.

After setting an appointment we met up and went to the dyno. Now I wanted a baseline hp figure. My truck was dirty, high egt's, LOTS of smoke. I had a 100hp tune that came as mail order if you want to call it from another tuner. Now this tuner did make the tune for a stock truck, mine is far from that so I can't entirely blame them for the drivability issues.

We hit the rollers, Rich then started. My issue initially was the lack of a lock up switch so he had to start up in the rpm range. Truck put down 499hp and 633 ft Ibs, disgusting. He looked at the graph and loaded his tune, fine tuned some things, shut off some eliminators etc etc that he did that i don't understand :bang but we hit the rollers again. Mid 500's and 1000 torque. He tuned and rolled and you could see he was like an analyst, studying the graphs and the dyno chart, tweeking here and there.

Our last dyno run I hit 649.8 hp and 1128 foot pounds. The addition of the lock up switch would have netted me mid 1300's according to rich but we will go off what the dyno said.

The holdback I had for power is now I need more air. S480 with a racecover under the 66 is in the works. Should be in the 800hp range hopefully.

Drivability, WOW. A lot cleaner down low and floor it, hold the eff on. I called later and told him, 65mph ass swinging is rather interesting. It's crazy the power and the drivability all in one. Best part, on the 4.5 hour drive home i got 20.8 mpg from 14 mpg.

So, if you are on the edge about efi live and smarty, ditch the smarty, get efi live and have Rich @ Doghouse Diesel tune it for you. Hands down, THE best investment I have made on this truck.

its gonna take a few weeks for that grin to go away, then that bottom turbo shows up and its on!

This is the second thread I have read about rich and his tuning abilities sounds like Doghouse Diesel is the place to be!

I've got an appointment with Rich for March 3rd, can't wait. Looking forward to seeing what she has in her.

If I ever get a tune built he will be doing it. I would like to just fly down there and have him teach me so i can make my own changes at events.

Very cool story! Its amazing how much difference subtle tuning changes make! Good job Rich!

Rich is a EXCELLENT tuner...

If he can fix Ty's box of marbles...he can do anything!!!

Glad to here EFI Live isn't going to support our bastardized VP trucks. FTL. :(

Ya I am familiar with Efilive. I have built a few 400-600hp tunes but can never learn enough

My thought exactly!!

And you have to keep working with it or you'll forget everything. LOL It is for me anyways.

But I have a hard time messing with the damn duramax's. They are a pain in the a$$ to me compared to the cummins. Cummins is so much simpler to work with.

its a great feeling to know all that power has been there... it just took the right brain to harness it huh>!!!!!!

good job rich.

Tuning these things really isn't rocket science, it's just a lot of basic fundamentals, for ANY engine, that have been very crudely addressed until now.

EFILive in and of itself is an EXTREMELY powerful tool. BUT, like any tool, just because you have a hammer, it doesn't make you a carpenter.

Everybody gets wrapped around the axle about the actual tuning, when the REALLY important part is the data logging. Without the data logging you're tuning in the blind. It's a guess at that point.

Anybody that I've tuned will tell you that when the truck is on the dyno, the first things I look at are the data log and the dyno chart. And I always try to explain EXACTLY what it being done to your truck and WHY.

Right now, we average about 2 hours on the dyno to get a truck dialed in. But, as I explain to the trucks owner, we'll go as far as you want to push it as YOU are ultimately the one that decides when enough is enough. I'll tell you that I think this is where you need to stop based on the trucks current harware and what you use it for.

In this case, the truck was a tow rig so I didn't tune it to kill mode. Inflated, unusable dyno numbers are good for nothing but beating your chest about. What I want is the for the truck to leave with 100% USABLE power and not have to detune the truck to do what you NEED it to do.

As long as YOU are happy with the results, it's all good.

:Cheer:

Last edited:
Are you able to tune just off the data logging? Im out in Colorado so dont think I could get my truck to you.
Mathew

Back