Dowel Pin?

jdgleason

Hey Guys I am way new to cummins motors but I have a buddy with a dowel pin issue on his 12v. Can you guys school me on what it is, where it is, and what it takes to replace it?

it has dropped on a few 24v i believe sled puller posted that up a while ago

It's an alignment pin for the timing case to the block. Under certain conditions it can work it's way loose and fall into the crank gear and then jamb against the timing case cracking it and resulting in general chaos.

search for dowel pin kits. Fairly simple job to remove fan, water pump, front timing cover and make your own tab. New front seal and you're back in business.

For piece of mind, I'd check it out and fix it especially if he is considering increasing HP

On one of the trucks I worked on, the bolt fell into the oil pump and shattered it(its a cast peice), then lost oil pressure, and then crank bearings started to fail, but it was a first gen.

On one of the trucks I worked on, the bolt fell into the oil pump and shattered it(its a cast peice), then lost oil pressure, and then crank bearings started to fail, but it was a first gen.

A friend picked up a truck that had that happen to it, except it snapped the cam at the first journal.

It's an alignment pin for the timing case to the block. Under certain conditions it can work it's way loose and fall into the crank gear and then jamb against the timing case cracking it and resulting in general chaos.

search for dowel pin kits. Fairly simple job to remove fan, water pump, front timing cover and make your own tab. New front seal and you're back in business.

For piece of mind, I'd check it out and fix it especially if he is considering increasing HP

i didnt need to remove my water pump when i did the KDP.

Garrett