drilling out dv holders and connector tubes

BgBlDodge

Hates hippies
Not real sure where to put this since this has to do with 12v and 24v but here goes.

The 215 pump I'm putting on has been benched by Thompson Diesel at 445cc with a 100 plate full forward and the barrels turned. Stock dv's, stock gsk, stock afc. I'm going to throw some .022 or .024 dv's in it with a 4k kit and a modded AFC and set the timing on it for around 18-20* at the injector. I'm thinking I should be around if not over 500cc's of fuel after everything is said and done.

With that being said, I've talked to a couple of people who have told me to have my DV holder's and connector tubes drilled out to .084 to match the .084 line size I'm putting on my conversion. With the amount of fuel that my pump is capable of pushing (I dang sure don't have the air for that much fuel right now with just a 66) do yall think it would be a wise idea to have the holders and connector tubes drilled out? I'm leaving my VP injectors (7x.012) at stock pop off pressures for now. Has anybody ever drilled their DV holder's out and seen any change? It makes sense to enlarge them but I don't know if it's like a VP where it makes since to enlarge the connector tube but it either does nothing or hurts power and driveability. I know the p-pump is flowing more fuel but is it enough to warrant doing that.

Sorry for the long winded post but I was just trying to give as much info as possible. I'm attaching a copy of the flow sheet the pump shop gave me. The printer on the stand my pump was on wasn't working so it's hand written.

flowsheet.jpg

I would not suggest drilling them out. It has been talked about before..there is a reason for EDM especially on the holders.

It has also been mentioned before that larger holders are not needed on the street - I have no backup/proof for this, but it seems like your 400+cc of fuel would be plenty and not require larger holders.

As far as tube size, I would match the tube size to line size, but that's more of a personal preference. $.02

I am runing .084 lines into .093 tubes, thats just what size they came to me as. I have no trouble with them. I'm confused on what your set up is though, do you mean you have a 12 valve w/ P7100 or 12 valve w/ 24 valve head ? If you have the 12 valve head still, you don't have connector tubes like the 24 valves, our lines go to the tube in the side of the head into the injector, your 12 valve should just be a line to the injector. not sure what you ment ? -Ethan

I'm p-pumping my 24v. The DV holders are the 12v part and the connector tubes are the 24v part. Hencey I wasn't sure where to put this. I know in theory the larger orficies should be beneficial but theory doesn't always apply to these trucks.

If you haven't seen this before skim through this thread. On the 2nd and 3rd pages Don M talks about them a little. The holders are actually a valve. As much as I've searched old threads and asked no one has been able to post any actual comparisons, yet.

Because they are a valve I think that your results will be mehhh for on the street, but for the truck I can't see how it would hurt. $.02

Last edited:
Thanks. Ill take a look at that. Like you I haven't seen very much discussion on this and didn't know if it was a waste of time or a big secret or what. Kinda figured that it was a waste much like the connector tubes but figured it was worth asking about.

EDMing the holder can work, but it also negates the benefit of return flow restriction. Many have had luck modifying the compression pin that opens the holder, and this process is also reversible, whereas EDMing is not.