Drive pressure gauge. Whats all involved?

I just ran 1/8" copper w/ a 2.5" coil right off the manifold, then copper across the cowl to about the brake booster, and nylon inside the cab.

you gotta realize, there's not any exhaust flow going through the tube... so the heat only extends so far.

I had mine clog on me a few times, but it comes unclogged awful quick. next time, I may run 1/4" for a stretch to prevent clogging, but it was pretty much a non-issue IMO

here is the one I use for the RPM data logger

Last edited:
Nice set-up guy this might be a stupid question, but how do you figure drive pressure, I missed that part somewhere?

Trapper said:
Nice set-up guy this might be a stupid question, but how do you figure drive pressure, I missed that part somewhere?

Drive pressure is the pressure inside your exhaust before the turbo divided by boost pressure.

if you are producing 50psi of boost, and you have 50psi exhaust pressure that equals a 1:1 drive ratio

if you are making 50psi with 75psi of exhaust pressure = 1.5:1 drive ratio

what were to happen if drive pressure get way out of hand??? major loss of power or what???

lance

I guess you could chew up a thrust bearing if the pressure was way out of wack, but the main detriment of high TIP is lost horsepower and reversion of exhaust into the intake plenum

OK, so I have made it about 700miles since I put on my gauge, and I must have too much fuel because I am clogging the line up. Now What?

ok.... i took the intake off the compressor side of my turbo and found the the compressor had some soot on it. What does this mean?

Lance

oldsmokey97 said:
ok.... i took the intake off the compressor side of my turbo and found the the compressor had some soot on it. What does this mean?

Lance

what you're seeing is probably just oil/dust that's made it past the filter...

if you pull the cylinder head off of a truck that's got high drive pressure, you'll see soot back tracking from the intake bowls towards the intake due to reversion during overlap. obviously lots of trucks out there are running well and making good power with higher drive pressure, but it's like "free horsepower" if you can get back on the right side of 1:1 :)

oldsmokey97 said:

Lance

Make sure you don't have an exhaust leak. Does you air filter have some soot on it as well?

Paul

do you have to use copper tubing, could you use stainless steel, or even s.s. braided ?

scot.

The first part must be a solid metal tube/pipe for it to cool the exhaust gas. SS braid hose is rubber core or teflaon, both of which melt quite easily. Most people use copper because its in every hardware store, and bends easily.

I got mine in today...with the modded turbo I run it was 50 PSI drive to 40 PSI boost. 1.2:1 I guess?
Anyway...looks to be just about perfect.....

Back