Drive Pressure

XLR8R,
I had you drive pressure gauge setup on my truck for a LONG time. Very very nice setup and looked awesome. The only problem i had with it is that most of the time it didnt work. This was due to the soot filter. I would pull it apart and clean it then i could get about two good hard runs on it and the filter would be plugged up again.
Other than that it was an awesome setup.
Could one take the filter out and run it and the gauge be alright or will it definately mess the gauge up?

Lance

did you notice any difference in ETG's, if anything id think they'd be hotter because of the metal being closer to it.

Dang, I would've given you a new filter in Buda, Lance - I can't say they're required to protect the gauge (the condensate coil is the main buffer), since I've run without them for weeks on customers' trucks for testing & such and never hurt a gauge... but they probably can't hurt for long-term use, either. I know you have to be careful where you point the coil when you back flush the filter! :hehe:

I wouldn't hesitate to take out the soot filter and run it like that permanently - can't be any worse for the gauge than the engine oil (BTW - oil pressure gauges work really well as TIP gauges!)

SO whats one of your set-ups run a guy like me??

did you notice any difference in ETG's, if anything id think they'd be hotter because of the metal being closer to it.

I noticed NO change in ex temps.
After i took it off... i noticed NO difference in egt's from before and after.

XLR8R has an awesome setup. Very professional. I would advise everyone to go with his setup MINUS the soot filter. Because with a heavily fueled truck.. this seemed to be a problem (with me at least).

But... now with my E.D. ex. wg. I have the ability to tie into the DP line going from the manifold to the WG and just put a T in there and then go to a dp gauge.

Lance

I noticed NO change in ex temps.
After i took it off... i noticed NO difference in egt's from before and after.

XLR8R has an awesome setup. Very professional. I would advise everyone to go with his setup MINUS the soot filter. Because with a heavily fueled truck.. this seemed to be a problem (with me at least).

But... now with my E.D. ex. wg. I have the ability to tie into the DP line going from the manifold to the WG and just put a T in there and then go to a dp gauge.

Lance

cool, im gunna have to order one up

Dang, I would've given you a new filter in Buda, Lance - I can't say they're required to protect the gauge (the condensate coil is the main buffer), since I've run without them for weeks on customers' trucks for testing & such and never hurt a gauge... but they probably can't hurt for long-term use, either. I know you have to be careful where you point the coil when you back flush the filter! :hehe:

I wouldn't hesitate to take out the soot filter and run it like that permanently - can't be any worse for the gauge than the engine oil (BTW - oil pressure gauges work really well as TIP gauges!)

Not all oil pressure guages work good. The $15 ones at Vatozone flutter pretty bad. We used a 1/2" brass nipple with a 1/4" compression fitting on one side and 1/8" on the other stuffed with steel wool for a filter. Been working good so far.