driveshaft length

An hour and a half ? Wow that's like a 30-45 min job

Im glad you work in a driveline shop and know all about this stuff.

I bill a around half hour to shorten a driveshaft. Then i bill a flat rate of an hour for balancing a single piece driveshaft. That hour includes changing 2 joints if you want/need them. Forgive me for billing $74 to balance a driveshaft with a 50 thousand dollar piece of equipment.

I bill a around half hour to shorten a driveshaft. Then i bill a flat rate of an hour for balancing a single piece driveshaft. That hour includes changing 2 joints if you want/need them. Forgive me for billing $74 to balance a driveshaft with a 50 thousand dollar piece of equipment.

Lol whatever floats your boat I wouldn't pay it and every time I've gotten my drive shafts done its been much less

Lol whatever floats your boat I wouldn't pay it and every time I've gotten my drive shafts done its been much less

Sorry man, i guess that extra $11 over the $100 everyone else seems to find acceptable is a real deal breaker for quality work. I have no shortage of work. I consistently repair stuff other driveline shops cant seem to handle and constantly clean up there messes.

Thats a very good price and well worth it!!

Here is a better picture of the issue going on. I told them to cut it an inch and a quarter.
imageeae.jpg

Thoughts, concerns?

It needs to be shorter, is this a 2pc set up or single ? probably want to lose 1.5"

It's a two piece. The carrier bearing bolted up. So everything I cut off will move it directly back. Really think 1.25 won't be enough?

Last edited:
If its a 2 piece, how much they shorten it will be less relevant as once its installed it shouldn't move. 1 1/4 should be ok. If you can call them and change it to 1 1/2 thats not going to hurt your cause.

I'm just afraid of cutting too much. The DHD yoke is a bit shorter than my DLDs was and having not enough engagement seems bad obviously.

I called them saying 1.5 inches so hopefully that's the ticket haha.

You really on need to shorten the front shaft so it's not straining the hanger bearing, and it could be as little as .5" that shaft doesn't move with the diff, the rear section of shaft does.
Even 1.5" shorter isn't going to be a problem

Thanks for the help guys. Just out of curiosity what price range does a single piece cost to replace my two piece?

Depending on the length of the shaft, a single piece may not be feasible.

Anybody can build you anything, whether it will last is another story.

Back