Drop in Cam gains for Twinned 12V??

What improvements would be noticed with spool up and responsiveness?

Thanks

Adam

We have a couple of different cams for drop in. Is economy and egt reduction of primary concern or is spoolup? I have two main drop ins. 181/210 and the 181/218 the one with the 210 exh. will spool about 150 rpms sooner than the stock cam and have about 250 egt reduction and about 2mpg better fuel economy. The one with the 218 exh. will spool about 200+ rpms sooner but will only cool about 150degrees cooler on EGT Fuel economy is only slightly better than the factory cam though. These both take into account the 12v's are tuned correctly. We have other drop ins but these are the main two.

ZacH Hamilton

It's been over a year and I was wondering of the gains with a street duty twined 12v without flycutting pistons.

-Dustin-

It depends on the size of the twins and the amount of extra fuel, but I have seen 35hp easy. Some more, some less.

So unlike it's gas counterparts diesel cam's arent mainly for power, they share the power benefit with spool up and efficiency in a specific rpm range?

Just trying to get a bead on camshafts in 5.9's since the front end of the truck will be opened up sometime soon.

-Dustin-

Yes for power, kind of. If you have burned all of your fuel already you will only see an egt reduction. In a gas engine a cam increases air and fuel flow into the combustion chamber. In a diesel a cam only allows more into the cylinder. Since the diesel engine is just a large air pump the cam tunes the airflow for a certain rpm range. Some provide a broad range that starts lower than the factory cam and goes much higher into the rpm range while others are designed to make peak power at from 4500-5500rpm and then there are those that do everything in between. Factory cams main priority is to tune the engine to meet emissions requirements not make power. By going with aggressive ramp rates and optimizing lobe centers a cam can provide a very broad and efficient power range. This is where our cams fall. If you have the fuel I have seen over 50+hp increase and major power curve improvements. More power under the curve makes a truck much more fun to drive. Here is a dyno graph of our cam against another vendors cam.
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff203/zacheryhamilton/Scan_Pic0002.jpg
See the difference in the curve....a major difference, even though we made only made 23 more peak horsepower. If you were racing, more power across the rpm range as well as earlier spool will result in better e.t.'s even though the peak hp is not 300hp more.

Zach

Zach, you have any dyno curves for a 12v or 24v above 4000 rpm's? I'm also curious on how well your 180/210 cams works till 5000 rpm's? You need to use springs and pushrods for the stage 3 camshaft?