Drop in turbo for 03

Fannin88

Hey guys I'm looking for a turbo for my truck. Here is a quick run down.
03 5.9. G56. South bend clutch. 100 horse box tune for now. 60 hp dragonfly nozzles. Intake. 5" exhaust.
I'm not interested in a second gen swap or compounds right now. I also don't have a certain number in mind. Hopefully I can run a direct drop in. It doesn't have to look stock or anything as I do not have any emissions testing in my state. I drive the truck on the highway unloaded most of the time. I'm just looking for a little more get up and go to play with really. Im thinking a 62-63. Suggestions are appreciated! If I found one used for sale, that would be even better!

I'm thinkin something around 63/68-14, S300 frame. I like mine that I bought from Engineered a while back. Zero problems. I run it in a small set of compounds though.

There's a super b for sale a few threads up on the today list.. it's a mild upgrade for the HE341

There's a super b for sale a few threads up on the today list.. it's a mild upgrade for the HE341

Thanks man, I appreciate the heads up. If it was a special I'd jump on it. But that's a little smaller than I'd want to go. Seems like every time you read of someone putting one on they always say "I wish I'd went a little bigger" . May e it's a great one, I'm just set on stepping up a size or two. Thanks again!

will have something similar to a special for sale soon.
It will be a 66/??/??

Last edited:
66's arnt s much laggy as they are barky. Dd will be fun on a common rail. Will be a pita if you tow heavy.

With a G56 I wouldn't be scared of a 66 at all. I had a ED66/73/14 in my 05 with 90s and pulled heavy fairly often (40k lbs total weight) and didnt have a problem keeping thing lit. A G56 is really low geared so assuming you actually have a G56 in your 03 with smallish tires it will be fine. Mine ran about 2300rpm at 70mph with 3.73s and 33" tires.

Now I put that same charger on my 04 with an auto, and 37s with 3.73 gears... Its a pain between 65 and 75, you just dont have enough RPM to keep it lit at 70mph. No problems at 80 though, which is where I normally drive anyway. The auto and 37s put it at 1600rpm at 70mph.

A good custom tune will make a huge in difference in spool as well, besides making more power, better mileage, ect ect.

Getting something different than a box tuner would be a good idea to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With a G56 I wouldn't be scared of a 66 at all. I had a ED66/73/14 in my 05 with 90s and pulled heavy fairly often (40k lbs total weight) and didnt have a problem keeping thing lit. A G56 is really low geared so assuming you actually have a G56 in your 03 with smallish tires it will be fine. Mine ran about 2300rpm at 70mph with 3.73s and 33" tires.

Now I put that same charger on my 04 with an auto, and 37s with 3.73 gears... Its a pain between 65 and 75, you just dont have enough RPM to keep it lit at 70mph. No problems at 80 though, which is where I normally drive anyway. The auto and 37s put it at 1600rpm at 70mph.

A good custom tune will make a huge in difference in spool as well, besides making more power, better mileage, ect ect.

Yes sir it is indeed a G56. We put it in from an 06 that was getting turned into a pulling truck. I run 35s with 3.73 also. 70 according to GPS is just a little under 2100. That is some great info, thanks man!

I've been around a second gen swapped 05, 5600, and a super b special. With an s06, it's not that pleasant of a towing truck. You have to really watch it.

I've found a good deal on an sxe-363 63/68/.91 today. It has a T4 flange on it. So would I just have to buy a T4 to T3 adapter then basically shorten my down pipe the length of the height of the adapter I use? Other than that, anything else I'd really have to be concerned with? Would I still be able to use the elbow from an he351?

No and no
Your good deal needs a $550 turbine housing
You can get it in hx40 style or 4.4inch to fit your 3rd gen down pipe
It also need to have the curved cover to bolt on or you will need an elbow.

I've been around a second gen swapped 05, 5600, and a super b special. With an s06, it's not that pleasant of a towing truck. You have to really watch it.

Im sure it was, the 5600 has the same final ratio as an auto, and Smarty tuning compared to a good custom tune with HP nowadays is a completely different animal. My 66 lights at 18-1900 rpm, if he runs almost 2100 at 70, he can probably get a 30lbs out of it at that speed.

Im sure it was, the 5600 has the same final ratio as an auto, and Smarty tuning compared to a good custom tune with HP nowadays is a completely different animal. My 66 lights at 18-1900 rpm, if he runs almost 2100 at 70, he can probably get a 30lbs out of it at that speed.

That's what I'm saying. I'm with you guys, so I was giving him an example that I've been around first hand so he will see the big picture.

I'm looking for something similar to OP, how laggy would a s467 be when towing? Could i use it in a set of compounds down the road or would a go with something else?

I've driven a few 4th gens with 467 turbo installed and a good tune, they spool well and make great power. On a 5.9 Common Rail engine, I think I'd try something smaller than a 467 for a daily driver/tow mule/street truck.

The best "drop-in" upgrade for mild 550hp and less 5.9 trucks is the Borg 62/68 SXE with a .70ar T3 gated housing which is roughly equivalent to a 12cm. Great spoolup, great street manners, and doesn't move your whole powerband up 500 rpm like the bigger sizes and bigger turbine housings. If you're willing to deal with the higher rpm requirments/lag of a 14cm housing, might as well get more power potential and jump clear up to a 66 or 69mm SXE.

I ran an AGP turbo on a rclb 05 w/g56. spool was decent, hauled pretty heavy with it as well and it held up fine

Back