Dual cp3's and no rail pressure???

cumminsX

Can't make up my mind
I just went to dual cp3's on the new build and I put a used d-max pump on top. Things worked ok for a while and then I got a grinding noise that sounded like it was coming from the d-max pump, it got pretty loud and then went away. I drove it around after that and it ran good for about a half hour and then it got real smokey and lost a bunch of power. At first I thought it must be a boost leak, but I looked at the rail gauge and I was only hitting about 17,000 psi max and it would fall to around 10,000 when I would give it any fuel. So now I am not sure what to think, I took the harness out of the loop and just plugged the bottom pump in to see if it would build pressure and it was the same. Any Ideas what I should check next?

also the top pump feeds the top of the rail with a dual feed line, so there is no rail relief valve.

well I am running out of ideas, I have checked the FCA's, changed the rail pressure sensor, tried running it on just the bottom pump, and a few other things. Does anyone know what would be sending the signal to the pumps to ramp up pressure? Is it only the ECM? I have loaded a few different programs with the Smarty and no change. I am setting it back to stock now to see if that does anything. I have just enough pressure to get the truck started and then it gradually comes up to about 8000 at idle, then crusing pressure is between 15,000 to 18,000. If I give it any pedal it drops back to 8000 to 10,000 psi? Anyone???

It is Industrial Injections kit, but even when I take the controller out of the loop it is the same so I am thinking it must be something that has to do with whatever sends the signal for the cp3 to ramp up the pressure.

Dead pump?

it runs the same on just the bottom cp3 and it was a good pump on tuesday last week when we pulled it off of the other motor. Also I had good rail pressure when we first got it going and then it just went away, I had to change the oil pressure sending unit and I don't know if maybe I bumped the harness when I was reaching in there but I don't see any loose wires or grounds.

I did and they said to check the lift pump pressure, it is a steady 17psi from the airdog. I might have to call them again tomorrow.