Dually Tire size?

Burner

slow poke
Wanting a larger tire for a 3500 but not so large that you can't tow with it, what size? The OEM tires are 235/80 R17. What's the next size up?

I notice a friend of mine has Mickey Thompson ATZ in a 245/70-17 on his 04 dually. You might also get away with a 255/65 or 255/60, but do not quote me on that one.

Kino, do you have pics of the rear tires on your buddies '04? I am in the same boat.

hell i run 285x70R17's on all our dually dodges.
8 of them been running for no problems. already ran two sets of 285's under them. (about 80k on them, both sets per truck).

I run 265/70/17's.They are the same heigth as stock just wider.Been considering the 285's here lately ,just concerned about the tires touching.

DSC00364.jpg

DSC00398.jpg

yeah they touch unloaded in the rear with 285's.

but trust me, i have pulled 28k loads at 70mph or so for more then 8hours straight and MANY MANY times and never had an issues.

plus ALOT of offroading. (pipeline right-o-ways.)

No I do not have any pics guys, But I do know they do not come even close to touching at all.

You must be getting very very luck that a sidewall hasn't give way with those 285's touching.

not good having the sidewalls touching creates tons of heat and surprised you havent blown one yet 285s are good one of my friends has an 04 with 285s but its got wheel spacers and looks really good

i'm just suprised as you guys are.

we got spacers, just can't get the trucks to stop long enough to install them.
oh well.. one of these days...

Nitto has the Dura Grappler available in a 245-75R 17 if you want a little taller tire. I haven't seen a 245/80 but this is closer.

hey Thanks! I'll let my buddy know. I think he is wanting a taller tire.

Last edited:
Looking at a mudder tire...... Something that's taller by an inch or two that won't require spacers, any suggestions?

Burner said:
How do you equate metric to standard on tires?
only way I can remember is that a 285/75 is a 33 and a 315/75 is a 35. I belive that's right