Dunbar dyno at IRP?

bgilbert

VE Guy
Is Dave gonna have his dynojet at IRP again this year ? I seen in a post where Mike said he had that weekend off, just wondering.

I do not believe he will be there, but I would assume that DHRA will have a dyno on hand.

lol gee... imagine that. Guess the memo hasn't totally gotten out.

Wow, it just keeps getting better and better:rolleyes:. I might just have to stay home this time.

lol gee... imagine that. Guess the memo hasn't totally gotten out.

Hey cut Bill some slack. He doesn't come around much.

David works for, runs, is the head cheese, somethin over at NADM now. Him, Gene, and a couple of other cats were let go at the end of last year. So they set off on their own in search of peace and harmony elsewhere.

David works for, runs, is the head cheese, somethin over at NADM now. Him, Gene, and a couple of other cats were let go at the end of last year. .

Correction, Dave, Gene and Dieter left on their own for very specific reasons.
But who wants to nit-pick? lol

Hey cut Bill some slack. He doesn't come around much.

David works for, runs, is the head cheese, somethin over at NADM now. Him, Gene, and a couple of other cats were let go at the end of last year. So they set off on their own in search of peace and harmony elsewhere.

aww lol, I wasn't razzin him. It was kind of refreshing to see someone who wasn't caught up in it all. I didn't think he took it as me givin him hell.

I knew you didn't, but you know how rumors get started by a few misplaced words on the net!!!

I believe it was posted in an earlier thread about this event that Maddog's dyno would be used.

I dont know who the dyno person was but from what I saw . . . . He would never run my truck. And no torque measurements only h.p..

Whats the deal with these dyno's. I watched them run some trucks at indy and they would only pull for about 5 seconds. I seen the video of redstokes run and if you blinked you missed it. We ran my brothers truck on Floor-it diesels dyno and he pulled on it for like 10 min. I have it on video but dont know how to put it on here because the conversion program wont work with Vista. Just curious to the differences. Tim

An Inertia Dyno reads "how fast" you can get the drum from x to y speed. The more HP you have the quicker the run, generally.

On your vid.... can you put it on You Tube and post a link? Also, what kind of Dyno were you on?

Floor its dyno is a dyno dynamics load down dyno. I am not real good at figuring out this uplaoding stuff and usually have to have somebody else do it but i wil see what i can come up with. We dynoed it at Blink Graphics dyno day in Coffeen IL. My brothers best run was 527, 1077. JVJUMPs CR won with like 865 horse. I think they put the results on here somewhere. Tim

You think mine was fast?? We didn't get out of it until 4800 to 5000 rpms. Time goes fast when you have the power to spin/accelerate the rollers quickly, which is the point of this whole game. Watch a CR if you want to see a short dyno.

Is it just me or do i sense alittle bit of attitude in the "time goes fast when you have the power" comment. I wasnt starting anything, i was just simply stating that even 450 horse runs at indy were really fast but since we are on the subject, I would say you made some rude comments to my buddy at Indy with the black superduty cummins. "what does your daddy do, farm?" What kind of question was that along with the other ones. It says on track farming right on the side of his truck. Besides who cares how he paid for it. Nobody asked you how you paid for yours. Other than the motor itself, he custom built or fabbed everything for that truck.Thats enough from me so have a nice day.

Anyway, back to dyno questions, i have heard that inertia dynos are just how fast a setup you get to spin the rollers and it dont really have to be the most horsepower setup, just a good spoolin setup. That if you want accurate numbers you need to put it on a load down dyno. For instance Dunbars is allways about 100 horse more than Schieds. With this setup, you can have say a setup that might run a laggy charger so it will show good numbers on it when the same setup on a inertia dyno wont show good numbers because it wont spin the rollers as fast. What do you guys think of this? Tim

Also, my truck has never dynoed well and this could be because it is junk or could it be because i have always dynoed on inertia's and they dont like hard fueling, laggy turbo setups. This is why i want to know what yall think. I want to get my truck to dyno good dammit!

Last edited:
i have heard that inertia dynos are just how fast a setup you get to spin the rollers and it dont really have to be the most horsepower setup, just a good spoolin setup. That if you want accurate numbers you need to put it on a load down dyno.

A DJ248 will test a trucks ability to ramp turbo's true, but it can work with big turbo's too, we've proven it. If turbo's are not set-up correctly, a DJ will tell you. If you have a huge single charger that needs 2600-3000 rpm to spin, it will tell you that also.

For instance Dunbars is allways about 100 horse more than Schieds.

Not true. The Scheid dyno is a Mustang MD250 and the rollers on this machine have a hard time sticking more than 500hp. If their dyno and mine are 100hp apart, it's because the tires slipped on their dyno.

With this setup, you can have say a setup that might run a laggy charger so it will show good numbers on it when the same setup on a inertia dyno wont show good numbers because it wont spin the rollers as fast. What do you guys think of this?

I think that is pretty dead on if you are saying with a load cell set-up, and yes there are trucks out there that don't belong on an inertia dyno. Typically these are trucks that spend most of their life on a sled track, use big rpm to light the charger, then pull down into their powerband. I cannot test that kind of set-up. But any other truck that is driven on the street, the dragstrip and even many of the pullers can improve their performance dramatically if they can perform on a DJ248.

Tim

Also, my truck has never dynoed well and this could be because it is junk or could it be because i have always dynoed on inertia's and they dont like hard fueling, laggy turbo setups. This is why i want to know what yall think. I want to get my truck to dyno good dammit!

Hopefully the above comments help a little and you in fact could have one of those trucks that needs a load. Depending on your set-up determines if you might have more tuning to do, or if it's just too big to perform. The Dyno Dynamic's Dyno like at Floor-It is a good unit. I have tested with one in the past and we were 2 hp apart. I also just spoke with a shop owner who bought one. I had done some work for them in the past, and he too said our numbers were dead on together, and this was not just diesel trucks, but gassers too.

Most importantly and I tell this to people all the time, I feel the most important part of a dyno run is not the number, but what the graph tells us.

Good Luck.:Cheer:

The best thing you can do is run it down the track. No matter how much HP you want/think it has *times* don't lie. However, if you really want to see into your power I'd suggest finding a SuperFlow. I know John Kennedy has one up in Loyal, WI. Oh, and be sure to weigh your truck.

Back