Duramax Tuner quoted me $10k to do twins, tranny and tuning

BW Motosports

JUST SOME BROKE KID
Okay so duramax tuner quoted me 10k to put a Gmax 5 in the tranny with a torque converter for me to buy a twin turbo kit from them and have it installed and to have the truck tuned ( turbo kit includes tuning). What is your thoughts on this everyone. Seems a little steep. They told me the tranny will take close to 15-16 hours and then the turbos will cost me yet another 22-25 hours of labor at least. Keep in mind this is at $80 an hour shop labor. There has got to be a better solution. I'm willing to spend the money if this seems reasonable but 25 hours to put a pre-made turbo kit in seems a little long to me. So my questions are, what tranny kit should I use, what is best to hold a little over 600 at the wheels and last. Also i would really like to use a twin turbo setup that uses the stock charger, what would you all recomend for this. Help me out here guys now that the time has come to do all of this I'm a little frazzeled. :aiwebs_024: I have looked into the alligator Stage 5 kits and the PPE stage 5 kits but I dont know to much about the suncoast stuff.

If you don't like the price go somewhere else. Do you expect to go back to him and say " people online said that's high" and then he will do it for less?

If you don't like the price go somewhere else. Do you expect to go back to him and say " people online said that's high" and then he will do it for less?

No that is not what I'm wanting at all. I just feel like 25 hours +/- for the turbos is a little much that is all. Plus he is in Illinois and I'm in Upstate NY. So if I can find a closer shop that is reliable I would prefer going there. I'm not trying to be an ass here, I just don't want to get ripped of is all, I don't want to over pay is a better way of saying it :Cheer:

I'm not doughting his work at all. I just dont want it to be like buying somthing from Cabelas were I'd be just paying for a name brand is all.

You could save money by doing the work yourself and paying him to tune it. But usually a built trans runs 5-6k(someone doing the work), twins 2.5-3k (twin kit), tune $500+ so 10k installed and tuned doesn't sound too far off to me.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

You could save money by doing the work yourself and paying him to tune it. But usually a built trans runs 5-6k(someone doing the work), twins 2.5-3k (twin kit), tune $500+ so 10k installed and tuned doesn't sound too far off to me.

^^^^ What he said.

I agree. Ive done plenty of twin kits where the parts dont fit right and it takes alot of extra time to get them sealed and tuned right. I always quote high on that stuff myself because it sucks when you underquote and need to tell the customer sorry but its gonna take more. 10K for what you are looking at is pretty reasonable.

Also keep in mind you are having custom performance work done and 80.00 per hour is very cheap. OEM techs here in BFE Iowa get 75 per hour.

Last edited:
Alright thank you guys, I just want to make sure everybody knows that I was not trying to bad talk dmax tuner in any way at all. I was just trying to get opinions. There is still a very good chance that I will go through them for the work to be done on my truck.

Just so you know, he has more than a few strong running trucks in the area. He seems to know his stuff

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Alright thank you guys, I just want to make sure everybody knows that I was not trying to bad talk dmax tuner in any way at all. I was just trying to get opinions. There is still a very good chance that I will go through them for the work to be done on my truck.

I may or may not have jumped the gun. I've even trolling on Facebook lately and am used to seeing that ****. Good luck with the build

I may or may not have jumped the gun. I've even trolling on Facebook lately and am used to seeing that ****. Good luck with the build

No worries, the second time I read through my post I saw that it did come off a little a$$holeish, that was not my intention however. :doh:

I agree. Ive done plenty of twin kits where the parts dont fit right and it takes alot of extra time to get them sealed and tuned right. I always quote high on that stuff myself because it sucks when you underquote and need to tell the customer sorry but its gonna take more. 10K for what you are looking at is pretty reasonable.

Also keep in mind you are having custom performance work done and 80.00 per hour is very cheap. OEM techs here in BFE Iowa get 75 per hour.

X2. I've only done the set on my truck but after the 4th or 5th time everything was out laying on the ground I knew it was going to be a bigger project than I originally thought lol

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Xparent Blue Tapatalk 2

That's one heck of a deal! We've billed 10k on a 6.0 job and it was almost all stock.

X2. I've only done the set on my truck but after the 4th or 5th time everything was out laying on the ground I knew it was going to be a bigger project than I originally thought lol

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Xparent Blue Tapatalk 2

This is why I posted this. I did not know that it was that difficult on the duramaxs. Thanks everybody for your answers !!

For curiosities sake, here is the time All-Data labor guide give to do an allison trans rebuild.

attachment.php

From my experience All-Data times are very fair to both parties involved.
15.6+0.2+0.6+1.5=17.9 That's how most shops would bill for the trans rebuild.

Attachments

• Screenshot-1.jpg
    Screenshot-1.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Upstate Diesel performance in Cincinatus NY could get you squared away with a compound setup and just about anything else. I dont think they are doing trannys though.

Im sure 4 sight down in Johnstown could probably get you set up with twins and installation, but hes a straight up cummins guy and tuning would have to be done remotely. Which, if you dont want to pony up for a flash scan, i would be willing to work with you and whatever tuner you wanted to get you dialed in via Emailed log files and tunes. Ide love to get my fingers into an allison, but im not going to offer to do one for someone i dont know. There is definitely a market here in CNY, everytime i turn around someone local is headed to maryland to have george alexander do there tranny.

Upstate Diesel performance in Cincinatus NY could get you squared away with a compound setup and just about anything else. I dont think they are doing trannys though.

Im sure 4 sight down in Johnstown could probably get you set up with twins and installation, but hes a straight up cummins guy and tuning would have to be done remotely. Which, if you dont want to pony up for a flash scan, i would be willing to work with you and whatever tuner you wanted to get you dialed in via Emailed log files and tunes. Ide love to get my fingers into an allison, but im not going to offer to do one for someone i dont know. There is definitely a market here in CNY, everytime i turn around someone local is headed to maryland to have george alexander do there tranny.

If I don't go to dmax tuner I may have to look into big upper to do my tranny, or mass diesel. I'm going to try and get ahold of upstae diesel in the morning or Monday. I'll pm you about the tuning.

If I don't go to dmax tuner I may have to look into big upper to do my tranny, or mass diesel. I'm going to try and get ahold of upstae diesel in the morning or Monday. I'll pm you about the tuning.

I would probably go with BT diesel works over mass diesel for a tranny. Just my $.02 Big dipper seems to be the end all be all of allison builders on the east coast.

And what are you going with for a twin kit? S475 over stock? or complete twins?

Last edited:
I would probably go with BT diesel works over mass diesel for a tranny. Just my $.02 Big dipper seems to be the end all be all of allison builders on the east coast.

And what are you going with for a twin kit? S475 over stock? or complete twins?

Ben could probably also do the twin turbo set-up for him as well.

Back