durango/dakota conversions

cwente

brought to you by drinkin
Im thinking about putting a 4bt in my wifes 2005 durango once the 5.7 hemi lets go. Im up in the air as to what to do for a transmission and was wondering what anyone else has used. I would like to stay automatic but going manuals not out of the question. Thanks for any input

I'm biased, but personal preference is the 47/48RE with standalone controller. As long as you have some TPS or APPS signal to reference, it can be setup to drive with an OEM shift strategy.

I haven't researched the 4bt much so I ask at the risk of sounding stupid. Will a stock CR adapter plate bolt up to the 4b to allow use of the 48? What about the flex plate

Ryan

The adapter and flexplate will bolt on. I actually have a 47rh laying in the shop now and found a simple adjustable controller for 350. No reviews on it but for the price maybe worth a shot. At least to not have to run it with toggle switches

There's a guy in my hometown that has a Dakota with some kind of Cummins swap into it. I haven't had the chance to chase him down yet so see what his setup entails but if I do I'll let you know

I haven't researched the 4bt much so I ask at the risk of sounding stupid. Will a stock CR adapter plate bolt up to the 4b to allow use of the 48? What about the flex plate

Ryan
NO on the CR adapter to a 4bt, since it has 2 bolt holes totally wrong.
A 2nd gen adapter will allow a 48re behind a 4bt.

Mark.

Thanks for the info. I guess i assumes it worked but didn't try

I guess it could work, it's just one bolt on either side and it isn't on either dowel hole.

Mark.

4bt in a Durango sounds like a nightmare. Put a 6.1 crate engine in it or something!

Nightmare. Probably lol. But has some cool factor to it

I have a 6BT in mine. I'm using a 47RE. No stand alone controller, no computer of any kind. I'm gonna shift it myself, via manual valve body

Ed

I have a 6BT in mine. I'm using a 47RE. No stand alone controller, no computer of any kind. I'm gonna shift it myself, via manual valve body

Ed
Yep I started out with a 47re with manual valve body, but switched to a 47rh after the RE failed.
That said the 47re could have been toast when I got it, so since I figured I needed a rebuild I opted for the 47rh. I am still running switches for OD and lockup, and it is not bad at all. however, I am planning on using pressure switches once I get my t-case/47rh connection worked out.

Was hoping you'd post. Care to drop some info/pics. Be good reference material

Ryan

I've been through all sorts of setups with my truck. Originally a 4wd with 47RH and stock dakota t-case and diffs. Used a 93 dodge ram diesel pcm to control the trans and my tach. Then did a 2wd frame swap and put in a manual valve body 2wd 47RE and an Anteater stand alone to run the O/D and lockup.

I definitely want something user friendly since its my wifes care. She can drive a manual fine but would probably forget about switches