EB and non VGT on 2010 (or 07.5-up)

Drake_Lawdawg

Correct me if I am wrong, but could we not put a 2nd gen manifold, better suitted charger (for big power that is), aftermarket Pac/Jake/BD Brake on and utilize the factory dash button to actuate the brake? In theory there has to be some voltage present at our charger to actuate the factory EB (sort of like an on/off switch actuator)....can't we use that voltage to actuate the air valve on the aftermarket brake? There would be no need for a trans integration kit either as our trans and engagement points and TC lockups would already be controlled by the ECM/throttle peddal...just trying to reason through this as I love my EB, but realize that the older manifolds accept chargers that are more capable of moving large volumes of air...and sound better too...

We may even be able to take that acutation unit out of the HE351VE and utilize it to open/close the butterfly in the new brake as opposed to using air...anybody take one apart yet?

If you're going with a non VGT charger it's going to be simplest to use an air operated exhaust brake.

You would have to determine what signal the ECM sends to the turbo to close the vanes fully, and then have that actuate an air solenoid.

You would have to determine what signal the ECM sends to the turbo to close the vanes fully, and then have that actuate an air solenoid.

As I understand it, the vein actuation on the HE351VE is a 3 pole/stage electric motor type of setup. Couldn't I just use that actuator (controlling the veins) to control the butterfly on the aftermarket brake though? Assuming that the actuation lengths are similar or dead on (by some grace of God...).

No you couldn't because the vanes are always moving, and then go fully closed for the EB. With a butterfly EB you need it full open until commanded to shut.

What would have to happen is you would need to find the voltage signal that means full closed, then when that voltage is reached the solenoid is opened for the butterfly EB.

It's not impossible and Fleece could probably do it quite easy. It comes down to demand.

I wouldn't say settled, but if the ECM is commanding the EB then it "should" be.

I wonder, thou seriously doubt it, if there is an ECM pin for EB function on the 6.7?

You can forget about the ecm operating the vgt actuator...it's got to be disabled to run a non vgt turbo. Besides air is so much fast than a PWM stepper motor.

You can forget about the ecm operating the vgt actuator...it's got to be disabled to run a non vgt turbo. Besides air is so much fast than a PWM stepper motor.

why does it have to be disabled? The people running Fleece's 2nd gen mani. and whatever turbo don't have them "disabled" they run a H&S or a Smarty. The speed won't be the problem, as we are probably talking miliseconds of difference between a stepper and an air switch...aside from the fact that if I even get that far I would consider it mission accomplished.