edelbrock 1792 fuel pump....

jamesl

elbows deep
this is the second hp carter pump i have had to put on my truck, im going with something different this time. i was looking at the edelbrock 1792 with the 1/2" fittings seeing that i have 1/2" lines already from front to back. i would like to get rid of the restriction and step up to a better pump. for who all has something in a stand-alone pump what are you using for hp applications? if it requires a regulator how did you tie into the stock return? thanks

http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_10001_10002_752943_-1_10307

RD, i have been looking at that one also. Do i need to run a regulator with this setup? if so which regulator would you recomend? Im just trying to set up the foundation of a nasty street truck...

We have been running the 1792's for over a year (2?) with excellent luck.

They are 12-13 PSI at idle, and pull down to 6 PSI at 750+ RWHP.

6 psi is near the kill zone for the VP pumps.....

An Aeromotive A1000 does not have a Built in Regulator...

Aeromotive Injected Reg

-06 AN port size is # 027-13109

-10 AN port size is # 027-13101

(Jegs part #s)

Last edited:
thanks, both of those say adjustable from 30-70 psi. How would i get it down in my psi range? isnt too much pressure bad for the vp44? sorry for all the questions im still learning on this fuel system stuff.

Last edited:
Smokem beat me to the one for lower adjustment regulation.... LOL

There ya go...

great! thats what i was wondering. Smokem, if i run a new bigger return line from the vp and tee into it from the regulator and go to the tank. Do you think I will have trouble overcoming the return pressure or is this pressure null given a larger return line with more flow?

:thankyou2:

just to kill two birds with one stone, i figured if im already up there and i have to run a new hose back to the tank. so why not go from the vp back, tee into it with the regulator, and finish the run to the tank. i already have a drawstraw installed so the new return in the tank is a simple install. basically instead of 3 lines i would have two.

gotcha, sounds like your plan is better then. wasnt even thinking of that, can you point me to a conversion where it lists an sizes to sae measuring. (ie. -08an = 1/2" ??)

How long did your HP carter pumps last? I just bought one along with some fittings, spin on fuel/water seperator and a spin on fuel filter. I'm ditching the stock fuel filter housing and running all new 1/2 hose from my draw straw to the VP44. I couldn't afford the a1000 pump.

SuperDave4x4 said:
How long did your HP carter pumps last? I just bought one along with some fittings, spin on fuel/water seperator and a spin on fuel filter. I'm ditching the stock fuel filter housing and running all new 1/2 hose from my draw straw to the VP44. I couldn't afford the a1000 pump.

the first one lasted 4 months, and the second one was on its way out when i took it off this weekend(lasted about 2.5 months).

thanks also smokem!

Well wtf. I guess I need to take it back and rethink this. This fuel system crap sucks.

Also should I mount my fuel/water seperator after the fuel filter or before?

We had bad luck with the Carters and Holleys. The Edelbrock has been problem free so far. With the Edelbrock there is no fuel return, you can put a regulator on it after the pump.

We aware that "return style" regulated systems can foam up the diesel and can cause fuel starvation at low tank levels. This is not a problem with gasoline.

McRat said:
We had bad luck with the Carters and Holleys. The Edelbrock has been problem free so far. With the Edelbrock there is no fuel return, you can put a regulator on it after the pump.

We aware that "return style" regulated systems can foam up the diesel and can cause fuel starvation at low tank levels. This is not a problem with gasoline.

McRat, any insight on to why a regulated system foams the fuel?

Smokem said:
-4an = 1/4"
-6an = 3/8"
-8an = 1/2"
-10an = 5/8"
-12an = 3/4"

the dash # is in 16th's of a inch. a dash 6 = 6/16th which = 3/8ths so a -16 would = 1 inch.

Back