edelbrock 1792 fuel pump....

jamesl said:
McRat, any insight on to why a regulated system foams the fuel?

Doesn't take much to foam diesel, so anything with a high return rate can do it. Not all regulators "return", but ones similiar to the FASS system return so much fuel it foams.

Smokem said:
It depends where you route the return line back into the tank. We were limited on options since my brother had previously installed a Haisley Machine standpipe and we needed to fill the plug. The fuel foaming issue is caused by fuel being redirected back into the tank, compare it to the foaming you see when putting fuel in your truck, just on a smaller scale. I modified the standpipe and installed it in place of the factory pickup, it works well but as Pat mentioned the tank cannot be run under 1/4 full. The problems we encountered could be overcome since we were limited on options, but it works very well with only one slight downfall.

ok, would there be a problem returning whats coming from the regulator back into the feed line of the fuel pump? would this create more issues with air in the system? once the regulator is set (depending on where its set i assume) it will continuously return fuel to where ever its routed correct? just trying to think out of the box...:thankyou2:

McRat said:
We had bad luck with the Carters and Holleys. The Edelbrock has been problem free so far. With the Edelbrock there is no fuel return, you can put a regulator on it after the pump.

We aware that "return style" regulated systems can foam up the diesel and can cause fuel starvation at low tank levels. This is not a problem with gasoline.

So your runnin a regulator just by itself, with no return line? I put that carter on, but it's not enough psi. I'm seeing 9 at idle and 6 at WOT. I don't like it being that low to be honest. If I can run that pump with a regulator and no return line at all I'd like to go that route.

jamesl said:
ok, would there be a problem returning whats coming from the regulator back into the feed line of the fuel pump? would this create more issues with air in the system? once the regulator is set (depending on where its set i assume) it will continuously return fuel to where ever its routed correct? just trying to think out of the box...:thankyou2:

I was wondering that also.

Last edited:
There are people doing that. I don't, so I do not know the results.

I don't see any harm in it.