EFI Live, whats needed?

smokingoat04

Not real sure
I'm a Dodge guy, but am fascinated with Efi live. A friend of mine just bought an 05 lly. He is wanting Efi for it. I've searched, and found nothing. I've looked at their website, and on Fleeces website. Do I just need v1 or v2 plus tune? Or is their more? What will it take to set the truck up for tuning. Also before anyone freaks out, I know Efi live is a dangerous thing for novice tuners. Any help would be appreciated.

I'm a Dodge guy, but am fascinated with Efi live. A friend of mine just bought an 05 lly. He is wanting Efi for it. I've searched, and found nothing. I've looked at their website, and on Fleeces website. Do I just need v1 or v2 plus tune? Or is their more? What will it take to set the truck up for tuning. Also before anyone freaks out, I know Efi live is a dangerous thing for novice tuners. Any help would be appreciated.

You don't intend on tuning it correct? This is the wrong forum if you want to learn EFI Live... Duramax Diesels there is a plethora of information and lots of nice people. Most vendors on that forum with the purchase of EFI Live will supply you with one or more tunes generally a race tune and a DD tune

You can just get a tuned ecm or visit a tuner if you have one local. Will cost less and be simpler.

Nick at duramaxtuner.com will get you everything you need and has a tuning tutorial on his website to help you get started.

I want to be able to tune, and swap tunes with other tuners. I also don't know of any tuners closer than 3 hours. I appreciate all of the help.

I fully understand the complexity, but with some studying and common sense i would like to learn.

Go to dieselplace.com, and read about the 20 20 tune, its a small tune but it teaches you the ideas of what you need to change to build a tune. Don't be scared of EFI live, it has a steep learning curve but its not that hard to figure out. Now if you want to build huge tunes its a little harder. Start with the 20 20 tune and build from there. Look at every table and try to understand what it does and if it needs to be changed. dieselplace has tunes you can download for free that other members have posted. download a few modifyed tunes, and load them side by side(EFI live will load two tunes at once so you can compare them) with the stock version and see what they have changed. It would be a good idea to buy the V2(all you will need asides from your laptop) from someone that will build you a few tunes with your purchase. You don't need to run there tunes, but they will give you a good idea of what it takes to build power. Idaho rob or nicks tunes are good places to look for EFI live and they seam to be some of the top tuners out there. Keep in mind that EFI live is going to be able to tune cummins soon, and there will be a new unit to purchase or upgrade too if you want to do dodges. EFI live has a helpful forum on there website that is fairly helpfull and you can download the software for free and play with it. I have a few tunes I could send you if you like.

There is a bunch of tunes that others that know what they are doing have posted. Just upload and install.

You buddies 05 LLY can be tuned with either FlashScan V1 or V2.

If you are assisting him, my suggestion would be that you/he orders a ne BLUE FlashScan V2, not a black unit. That way when we release support for your 2003 you won't need to purchase another tuner, just use the one FlashScan device for both the 05 LLY and the 03 5.9L.

The Black FlashScan V2 doesn't support SCI communications as used on the 03-05 Cummins, however the new black FlashScan V2 unit does.

All that said, there are some license activation costs to tune both GM and Cummins, but overall it's a cheaper option than purchasing 2 pieces of hardware if that's the path you wish to travel.

If you have no intention of tuning your 03, then your buddy should know that FlashScan V1 will provide the exact same tuning results as the FlashScan V2, although the V1 doesn't have all the bells and whistles that the V2 has (ie. limited licenses, limited to pre CAN GM only, needs to be connected to a PC for reading/flashing, logging limited to 25 mins)

Cheers
Cindy

You can give me a call and I'll speak with you about the option for the Duramax and the Cummins.

I'm really interested in EFI also for my LLY. Should I beef up my tranny first because I heard once you add any power to the stock allison things start slipping.

You can run tranny safe tuning and then when you upgrade the trans, the tuning can grow with all your mods.

IdahoRob is one of the best tuners in the country for common rail diesels. Hook up with him and don't look back.