EFILive 2010+ updates

If the stock ECM can't be manipulated I would guess there will be aftermarket and standalone ecm's available at some point.

Bosch makes them already if you're able to drop 15K on one !

All ECMs are "locked" from the factory, the key just has to be figured out. Now if they do like GM has done with the LML and removes the read function from the ECM we may be up the creek.

So forgive me for my stupidity, but here's my question. Assuming the read function has been removed from the ecm, then one can only open up the ecm and read whatever internal chip contains the programming? If my understanding is correct, the ecm can be flashed, but not read by normal means?

From what I gather EFI Live is a "no go" at this point for the LML Duramax. The LML's Bosch EDC17 ECU is designed to stop tuners.

There are, however, aftermarket tuning options for the LML Duramax. H&S, Bully Dog, and Hypertech (to name a few companies) offer tuning options for the LML. How they go about doing this is secret squirrel stuff.

Check out this thread for a lot more info on the subject: http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?17316-Possible-ways-of-tuning-the-LML
The difference between EFILive and the handhelds, is that none of the handhelds actually read the stock tune in the ECM. They ship with the relevant information, which means it's quite acceptable for them to remove/read the information from a chip on their bench.

For us, it's a requirement for the end user to read the stock tune from their truck via the OBDII port and use this file to edit and flash. GM removed the ability to do this, and asking customers to remove their ECM, remove their chip and read the file just doesn't cut it.

GM know exactly what they are doing. They had a handful of new ECM's in 2012, and only the LML had this level of security.

Cheers
Cindy

Is the same strategy in place for the 2009.5+ Cummins ECM (CM2250) as with the LML ECM or is EFI Live eventually going to work with it ?

Thanks

I don't believe that Cummins is that tight....yet.

The LML Bosch EDC17 ECU is used on many European Vehicles. Some have no restrictions, some have restriction levels even higher than the LML. Some actually prevent the dealer (and everyone else) from reflashing too...

Cheers
Cindy

What ever happened to 'Ownership'? It's like paying taxes on property that you already OWN (over here in the US.)

GM removed the ability to do this, and asking customers to remove their ECM, remove their chip and read the file just doesn't cut it.

So in theory, if one wanted to do the legwork and had the equipment to read the chip, you could tune with EFILive? That would be a major pain in the butt though...5 min Cummins flash times would be out the window. Lol

So in theory, if one wanted to do the legwork and had the equipment to read the chip, you could tune with EFILive? That would be a major pain in the butt though...5 min Cummins flash times would be out the window. Lol

The point is, we won't develop parameter support and flashing support even if it's possible if most of our customers cannot gain access to reading their vehicle. Unless we can do all three in the method we require, we won't do it.

Cheers
Cindy