EGR Delete

blackcoal

Im tired of looking on tdi club, but does anyone know what size block off plates I need to delete the EGR on a 2000 tdi?

Same as ford 6.0s

But for mileage I'm leaving mine on.

Darkside diesel over the pond has egr kits. At least I think that's their shop LOL

Im taking mine off because I think I have to anyways to swap turbos, and I don't wanna have to clean the intake anymore, I did it like 10,000 miles ago and its starting to fill up already.

Know anyone in America that has the same kits for about the same price haha?

You don't need a kit, all you need are two 6.0 pucks and some time to look through the radiator hoses at your local parts house. You will have two spots to block off by using an existing flange with the piping cut off, either a single hose that goes from 3/4 to 1/2 or two hoses and a coupling, and VAG COM to set MAP sensor reading with. Everyone acts like it's a big deal on these cars and it is not.

Don't quote me on the hose sizes, those are vaguely remembered numbers. I went hunting through the premade stuff and found one that would work and was long enough. I also removed the tulip valve and made it flow a bit more freely through that area.

I haven't found any in the states. My buddy is picking up one of their Garrett ball bearing kits with a race header. Should be fun. When he does I'm getting his old vnt17.

But since my pump now leaks a gallon in 2 minutes I'm not driving it. Back to the ol dakota LOL

Pump seal kit along with the tools from dieselgeek and metalnerd I'm game to go in a week or so. Doing injector lines and nozzles at the same time along with a oil pan.

Oh it gets better. My southbend stage 2 endurance clutch is slipping. Not too happy.

Last edited:
Everyone I talked to that removed their EGR their mileage has gone down with it.

I base my opinions on prior people that have done it. They say 3 mpg decrease on average. With the new ULSD you don't have to worry about the soot build up ordeal now. The only way mine will be removed is if it quits working like Adams.

That is weird everyone I've talked to says their milage goes up 3-4 mpg when they delete it and retune. I know when I pick up my 02 this weekend that is the first purchase I am making.

I had to help a buddy swap the motor in his mom's 01 because the soot and oil from the CCV caused a runaway and bent a rod. I don't want to have to deal with the soot, you can't tell me the ULSD is going to stop the soot buildup.

Rick

If you tune it alone you will pick up 3-4. I did when I went to a Malone stage 3 tune. I'm putting in my injectors tomorrow and it is claimed to pick up another 2-3 mpg. I go off of what I read from a ton of good people on tdi club. I have no real world light to shed on it.

Then I guess I'm wrong then LOL

I have cleaned my intake and its just as clean now. I have checked it a couple times.

Hmm well im gonna delete mine, my new turbo finally showed up. I don't see how putting hot air full of co2 and particulate matter back in the engine is gonna help with millage. The only down side I have heard is it takes longer for the engine to warm up.

Then I guess I'm wrong then LOL

I have cleaned my intake and its just as clean now. I have checked it a couple times.

When you did it last, was the MAF sensor reading adjusted? You can set the reading at max factory and almost eliminate the EGR system from cycling IIRC.

Hmm well im gonna delete mine, my new turbo finally showed up. I don't see how putting hot air full of co2 and particulate matter back in the engine is gonna help with millage. The only down side I have heard is it takes longer for the engine to warm up.

Not that much longer.

My egr is set a little different than factory. I still won't delete it though.

Never did say mine was stock tuned and EGR wasn't messed with. Love the VCDS

No US companys offer the Race Pipes anymore Diesel Geek stopped
Making them after the EPA crack down on H&S. Idparts.com sells the block off plates and coolent reroute which i used. I dont have a race pipe but did the "Stealth" Pipe mod to my factory Egr. Which more or less guts the egr but retains the ASV for smoother shut downs and in case the motor was to ever run away on you.

Finally got around to swapping turbos and blocking the egr off. I ended up making my block off plates. I didn't really notice a difference in warm up time. Also no more limp mode anymore! but the car still seems low on power, to some I have driven. Also it has always vibrated at idle, more than other ones I have been in, and now that its getting cold it starts harder than I think it should. Which I think might be part of the cause of low power. All the glow plugs are new and in good working order. Anyone have any ideas on what I should check? Id like to get it running right before I do a tune on it.

Intake is clean, fuel filter is new, turbo actuator is good, swapped injectors out of a car that had no problems and ran good, had the vw shop check the timing after I did the timing belt and they said it was right

Last edited:
Most Malone tunes allow the EGR to cycle until coolant reaches a set temp. (around 160degs. I believe) and then shuts off the EGR. This aids in faster warm-ups and wouldn't be a bad idea for those who live in cooler climates.

However, disabling EGR altogether has definite benefits. As my diesel tech. instructor would ask while discussing EGR, "How would you run if you had to eat your own sh!t?" :hehe:

Most Malone tunes allow the EGR to cycle until coolant reaches a set temp. (around 160degs. I believe) and then shuts off the EGR. This aids in faster warm-ups and wouldn't be a bad idea for those who live in cooler climates.

However, disabling EGR altogether has definite benefits. As my diesel tech. instructor would ask while discussing EGR, "How would you run if you had to eat your own sh!t?" :hehe:

The Glow plug harness is more prone to going out than the plugs themselves I had to replace mine earlier this year. My cars glow plus light was flashing when it did go bad though.

i removed my EGR and my mileage did not go down.

I modiifed & welded my intake manifold to eliminate the egr, & i have a stragiht silicone hose over the front of the engine to the intercooler. makes it much easier to remove valve cover, cleaned up the clutter inthe engine bay etc. i know some guys worry about run away diesel but ill take my chance

Back