EGT questions

j_cyrus

Hey guys. I am running a 66/74/14 from Industrial, DDP 200's, HRVP from Industrial, AEM Brute Force( just cleaned the filter ), and I am having some heat issues...

This truck, just cruising around, runs at 1000-1100 degrees at very light pedal. Just getting up to speed, not hot rodding or using much of the pedal at all. I don't understand why it's running so hot? It runs great when the charger lights, but I want to get my EGT's down. I am not concerned with full throttle runs as I am spraying water meth after 30lb of boost and that keeps it around 1250. I just want to be able to drive it around town without it running so hot. Cruising at 60mph on decently flat ground, it's building about 2-3lb(pyro is around 1000-1100) of boost. I'm also running a Suncoast trans with a Goerend converter, with a stall of 1800. Could this have anything to do with it? Sorry for the long winded post. Any help you guys can give me I would greatly appreciate it, and if you need any more information let me know.

get used to it. your under the charger as i am also with my truck. you will need to run around 2100-2300 rpms to keep it cool while cruising in overdrive. next time you drive at 60 mph kick out the overdrive and see how it runs on a flat surface. i bet your somewhere around the 600* area. you can try to tighten your valve lash, port the exhaust housing and manifold, gasket match the manifold and turbine housing.

Last edited:
Tire size? Gear ratio?

305/55/20

3.73 gear ratio

get used to it. your under the charger as i am also with my truck. you will need to run around 2100-2300 rpms to keep it cool while cruising in overdrive. next time you drive at 60 mph kick out the overdrive and see how it runs on a flat surface. i bet your somewhere around the 600* area. you can try to tighten your valve lash, port the exhaust housing and manifold, gasket match the manifold and turbine housing.

Can you define "under the charger"? Excuse my ignorance please.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

He means that the turbo isn't spooling enough at low rpm, and therefore excess fuel is causing egts to increase. At higher rpm your turbo spools, and you have enough air to "clean up" your excess fuel.

He means that the turbo isn't spooling enough at low rpm, and therefore excess fuel is causing egts to increase. At higher rpm your turbo spools, and you have enough air to "clean up" your excess fuel.

Thanks. Nothing I can do to fix this? Besides trying what he said?

Get a divided housing if you don't hav one already and get the spool flange. Check out nick's thread write up about the SDX spool flange

mine is a 66/71 .88 AR from Bullseye and i cruise on flat ground at 800*. you might be able to get a little cooler if you step down a size on the turbine wheel, or try a billet compressor wheel. i think they are over rated but Bullseye claims that the 66mm billet wheel spools like a 64mm wheel.

Turbo is too big for your application.

Ok, so I need more fuel. What size injectors and what brand? This truck is not a daily driver, I've only put 700 miles on it since last July. You guys have been very helpful, thanks a lot.

are you just making it a toy or are you actually trying to drive it and stay cool? twins will help it run cooler or try to run the divided housing and spool flange. Nick has had good results running a large single on his truck with that.

No, what everyone is trying to say is.... that turbine generally won't run cool down low, but should cool well once it gets spooled

been thru this with mine..yer conv is a bit tight and yer turbinwa too big. i went from some 7x10+030 sac to a vco and it got 100% better..bt slower,,so i added a fuel box to help out...

are you just making it a toy or are you actually trying to drive it and stay cool? twins will help it run cooler or try to run the divided housing and spool flange. Nick has had good results running a large single on his truck with that.

It's just a toy but i dont want my toy to run as hot as it does. Im going to look into the divided housing and spool flange, thank you for your advice. I dont know who nick is though.

No, what everyone is trying to say is.... that turbine generally won't run cool down low, but should cool well once it gets spooled

i am going to explore my options and make a few phone calls, thanks.

been thru this with mine..yer conv is a bit tight and yer turbinwa too big. i went from some 7x10+030 sac to a vco and it got 100% better..bt slower,,so i added a fuel box to help out...

I will be changing the stall to a 2100-2200, I am just to lazy to pull the trans at this time. Thanks for the help guys.

Have you considered a cam? It should start spooling your turbo at a lower rpm, drop your get's and increase the drivability over all. Plus it's cheaper than a new turbo or turboS

Thanks, ill take a look at the thread.

Have you considered a cam? It should start spooling your turbo at a lower rpm, drop your get's and increase the drivability over all. Plus it's cheaper than a new turbo or turboS

I have thought about a Hamilton, I have valve springs and am saving up for the cam and push rods. Probably just going to go with a mild cam though. I don't want to.flycut. How much is too much for the bottom end? Do I need to plan on breaking into it? I want 600-700 on fuel, the 638 in the sig is with nitrous. I'm also wanting to ditch these ddp's and step up to something bigger though. But when you search for injectors on here its like every thread is arguing about who is best and what not, I don't know who to go with or even what size to get to where I want to be.

My truck spent 10yrs cruising down the highway at 900-1000* depending on terrain and after 220k miles and lord knows how many 1600*+ runs the truck had no blow by, didn't burn any oil, and had perfect compression in all cylinders. Do not worry about it.