EGTs

jambbii

milk
Just wondering what people consider for a "limit" for quarter miles. I can peg my pyro before I hit half track:rockwoot:

I have no clue on egts, check out my thread on timing though....very helpful

I'm planning on going down to firebird tonight, you working?

Cummins says you can run 1275 PRE turbo all day long.

But don't go over that for "extended periods."

I see it like the redline on RPMS. Sure, you can go over.. and you can probably do it several times without too many problems.. But, WHEN (not if) something lets go, don't be surprised.

The neat part about pegging the pyro is that you will have cool little stars that resemble an injector spray pattern cut into the pistons to look at if you ever pull the head.

Buried my 1600* EGT gauge many many times on the track, and plenty of times on the highway for extended intervals.... At the track i don't even pay attention to the EGT's

Once I get my egts under control I end up adding more fuel and then my problem starts all over again:bang

Extended use of a Dodge Stock Turbo (Holset) beyond 1300 F will be an expensive mistake. Now, it is debatable what extended means but it is worth being careful. Also, running pre-turbo temps higher than that will eventually damage the probe - causing potentially more problems.

If you see it up there lots - I'd spend some money on a new exhaust (if you are stock, get a decent 4" with a good muffler (or not) and if you are at the 4" already, perhaps a 5" is in your future? Alternately, you can swap out the housing, get a ball bearing style turbo or install a set of twins.

Ive ran mine well in excess of 1600* for quite a long time. when I had the stock hx 35 on it, i used to hit 1600* in 3rd, and go all the way through 5th. Im assuming 1800* plus. It would go around past 6 o'clock, not quite back to the 0 mark. I put quite a few miles (65,000) on the hx35 like this, no probs with it. It was still in great shape when I pulled it. Shaft play was still within spec.

When I had the probe mounted post turbo for a while, I would get 1300* + there as well.
I consider myself lucky though, and wouldnt condone this type of abuse!!!:lolly:

Running down the strip I wouldn't worry about it, 12 seconds or so (assuming 2 or more seconds for the engine to fuel to max and EGT's to max out) is not going to kill the turbo...immediately. Most of the racers I know don't even look at the EGT gauge when racing.

On the street is a whole nother ball of wax though with extended run times etc. and is wen you do need to pay attention. The Holset on the goat has seen 1500* plus so many times it ain't funny and is still chugging right along.