Electrical Problem

irontx25

Hey Yall, a buddy of mine has an 04. He tells me that when he is driving down the road his dash cluster will go out then come back on intermittenly. At first i would think his cluster was out. Then he tells me how when it does this ,his lights come on and go off with it. He doesnt have any kind of auto lights or anything. At night , they will go from bright to dim on there own. Says when it does it the blue " high beam light never goes out , but it still dims as if he hit the switch. The truck is bone stock. Never had a programmer or anything on it. Im not a dodge guy myself,so i dont know that much about them, but i figured there would be a few of you here that may have dealt with this before, or know the wiring system enough to point me in the right direction. Thanks for any help

sounds like possibly a bad or going bad TIPM ( totally integrated power management ) It controls the voltages sent out to each component. They're known to go bad especially if new lighting has been added into the system, i.e., trailer lights, cab lights, fog lights. If he can get it on a Starscan at the dealer, they should be able to tell where the problem is.

hey thanks for the input... i will pass it on . Figured it was some kind of control module or a relay.

if it weren't for the entire gauge cluster going in and out I'd ask if he had a system in the truck as I've seen the headlights dim on a lot of vehicles from sub's hitting but I odn't see that being the problem seeing as the whole cluster is going in and out, but at the same time it could be depending on the amperage it's drawing and if thats the case he needs a good size capacitor

This is a common issue with 03/04 trucks we have not found a solution,We has tested all the component's mention-only to find the problem temporarily resolved. I believe it is related to the J1850 (PCI).You can suspended the communication by Pulling Fuse 51, keep in mind you will be defeating the interface of the vehicle by doing this.