Engaging 4WD...

Frans96ss

recently when i switch my truck into 4wd it will not engage..... i was at the track the other night and on the street and i put it in 4wd a good few hundred feet before this light i was about to race another truck at and it did not go in.... this has been happening for a while.... has anyone else had this problem?

YOur vacuum pump might be on it's way out. When you turn on your AC does it blow out the top first and then the front of the dash.

If your heater controls do not work, and are working out of the defrost only, it is your vacuum pump.

it deff does blow out the top first then the bottom.... and the other night at the track is didnt work at all..... how much is one of those and where is it located?

i had the same problem once and my vaccum pump was still working but one of the lines to the hub got disconnected.

^^^Yep, I was just about to say, check your vacuum lines before replacing the pump.

6.0kingranch said:
YOur vacuum pump might be on it's way out. When you turn on your AC does it blow out the top first and then the front of the dash.

My A/C does this but I don't have any problem shifting into 4X4. Is my pump on the way out?

Mine was hard to get to engage to 4x4 and also impossible to get out of 4 low. My ac would switch from def and vent as you were driving down the road. installed new pump.

yeah when i was at the track running the other night my defroster came on in the middle of the run..... then none of my controls would work..... then on the way home they started working again.....

When I entered the truck pull drags here a few weeks ago mine wouldn't engage eigher. It turned out the wiring harness was loose from the transfer case, so I just slid under the truck and pushed it back in the best I could and heard the vacum locking the hubs. I still can't figure out how to get it to clip on there. There is a red tab on top that looks like it does something, but I don't know what.

But check all the wiring contections too, that was my simple problem.

hi everybody im new here . i'v been having the same problem for a while with my 4x4 im going to check my hubs right now.

i checked my hubs, and transfer case for any wires.... didnt see anything.... where is the vacuum pump located? and how much if anyone knows....

I think it was like 95 bucks and it's simple to spot. Open you hood and it's right over your passenger side wheel. Very easy to fix.

6.0kingranch said:
I think it was like 95 bucks and it's simple to spot. Open you hood and it's right over your passenger side wheel. Very easy to fix.

oh ok i was looking in my engine bay for it and saw that and figured it had a few vacuum lnes to it so i thought that was it..... ill try replacing that tomorrow...

does anyone have a part number for the pump? i went to napa and they had a belt driven one listed....

go to ford to get it

my 4wd doesnt engage and my blower is fine... anything else to try other then conections? and will my 4x4 lite come on inside the truck if i switch the knob but it still isnt really engadged?

ive been having the same problem as 50stang. i can even lock the hubs manually and still wont have 4wd. i found out at the worst possible time, when i was in a sandy river bed and needed to back up. 4wd was supposed to be engaged the whole time i was wheelin', which was about 30mins. locked the hubs. tried 4lo and hi and nothing. i think my t-case is broken. any suggestions?

Garrett

i'd lay claim to the lines before the pump. those things can simply come off pretty easy.

could be the HUB seal or O-rings on the auto hub itself too.

you should put a hand held vac. pump on the wheel and see if it
holds vac., if it doesnt then youve got some wheel/hub/seal work
that needs to be done.

a proper method would be to test @ the wheel (w/ a known good
vac line) and then test using the factory vac. lines...you could have a
busted vac. line and not see the cracked or split line.

test both wheels...either one leaking down could cause the problem.

if both wheels hold vac. (as applied w/ a hand vac/pump) THEN you
can consider replacing the pump (mounted on the fender) itself.

Last edited: