Engine Block Heater

Soldered a new cable on, now just gotta go home and make sure everything stayed. I tested the cable in an outlet, and it was giving me 118.5 volts. Hopefully everything is good and the truck starts easy in the am. Supposed to be down near 16 tonight, so we will see what happens. Thanks for everyone's help!!!

Good news, I plugged it in and head the element kick on. Now as long as I did a good job covering and protecting the wires I soldered, then it sounds like I'm in business. Hopefully this will help my starts when it's really cold in the AM.

Cool Adam. Glad you got it fixed. It is nice to have heat on your feet after two blocks in stead of 10 miles isn't it? :D

Yea, the truck started just fine today. Didn't even wanna heat up the glow plugs very long. Light was on for like 3 seconds. Upper radiator outlet was warm though. Thanks for eveyone's help. Now I just gotta figure out why I'm getting a rough high idle, and the stupid Low Fuel Pressure Alarm LED is on. Just replaced the lift pump maybe 2000 miles ago. It was just a stock replacement, maybe I need to get a high capacity one.

Sounds like your getting air in the system. Check hoses and fittings. $.02 And if you got 'glow plugs'...you've got major problems!! :hehe:

Might be a stupid question, but is there a bleeder valve on the injection pump, or anything that I could look at that is causing air to get into the system.

There is a shrader (or how ever you spell it) valve right where the line from the fuel filter goes into the IP, at least there was on my truck. Check it!

Is it a bolt that has something that looks like a ball in the middle of it? I ordered a Haynes manual for the truck as well to help me out with locations of things on the truck.

It looks exaclty like the valve stem on your tires with a black cap on it. Push on it and it will shoot you in the eye!! :hehe:

Oh, well I don't think I have one of them. I have read that the 2003+ is a self priming system. I guess it gets rid of the air automatically. Tomorrow I'm gonna put a new fuel filter on, and clean out the filter canister and check the fuel lines for rust.

dodgeplowman21 said:
I ordered a Haynes manual for the truck as well to help me out with locations of things on the truck.

Chalk this up in the FWIW department, but this is probably the best $100 or so I have dropped on the truck -

http://www.genosgarage.com/products.asp?dept=17

No affiliation with the vendor, but the CD for my truck has proven itself invaluable many times. Enough so that I figure it has paid for itself several times over.

I will check it out, but right now my internet is busted... won't let me download any files. Barely able to browse the web. Will be fixed hopefully on Tuesday...