Engine Locked Up

Sounds like a hydro lock careful you can snap the crank with the starter!

They take 4 digit horsepower but you're gonna snap one with the starter..........

Then again, I know people that could probably accomplish that.

They take 4 digit horsepower but you're gonna snap one with the starter..........

Then again, I know people that could probably accomplish that.
Put a rod through the side of a C15 cat with the starter once when a head gasket was leaky.

A little update. I sent an oil sample out to get checked. They saw nothing abnormal with the oil, and no debris in the filter. I have removed the converter bolts as well as the starter, but the motor still has resistance when turning by hand. Going to try to pull the CP3 next. If a bearing or cam bushing went south, shouldn't it show up in the oil sample?

Seized piston? Have you dropped the pan yet? Maybe a bearing completely crapped out so there isn't much material to actually mix with the oil sample? Just throwing ideas out there.

I did right before I started it. It is full. Are the oil pumps known to fail? When it was rebuilt, I had asked the person doing the work if it needed to be replaced. His reply was no...

Why on earth woud you build a complete motor, and NOT put a new oil pump in?

Why on earth woud you build a complete motor, and NOT put a new oil pump in?

When the work was being done, I told him that I wanted everything replaced. After it was installed, I was told that the old one was still in there. His reply was "They never fail! You have nothing to worry about." Believe me, I was not happy to hear that shortcuts were taken on this build. Needless to say, I will not let him near my truck now. Time to cut my losses with him and move on.

Seized piston? Have you dropped the pan yet? Maybe a bearing completely crapped out so there isn't much material to actually mix with the oil sample? Just throwing ideas out there.

I have not dropped the pan yet. I was waiting for the oil sample first. Is it possible that oil testing isn't so accurate?

It is possible that somehow you have material in the oil and analysis didn't catch it, but the chances are very slim. It sounds like you just don't want to tear into this thing. I feel your pain, but you had oil, engine is new, and randomly died. The only way to see for certain what is wrong is to do what several people have said now, just open the valve cover and look around, pull injectors, and try it (and removing your cp3 is probably a good idea for a next step), and if nothing still, remove the pan and take a peek. If you haven't yet, drain the oil into an open top catch pan so you can look for larger pieces of material that might be floating around in there or maybe something else. Who knows

If trans is out of the equation, cp3 and starter has been removed and it still has resistance then start wrenching. If starter has not been removed make sure its not still engaged. Possibly starter never disengaged and its what's locked up. Also pull belt to make sure that none of the accessories are locked up. Only things left after this are hydrolock or internal failure of some sort.

Oil samples dont always tell the whole story.

Also, the oil drain plug bung sits a little higher than the bottom of the pan, so you never actually get all the oil out. Its possible there is some bearing material thats in the bottom of the pan that did not come out when draining the oil.

To Craigs suggestion, when I'm really curious and the oil is already out, add another quart or two of fresh oil with the plug out. If you have the valve cover off, add some in the front and the back of the engine. Sometimes this will flush out some of the debris that may be left in the pan. (I'm OCD, so I often do this through the oil fill on a regular oil change. Possibly wasteful, but 'its a medical condition')

That said, you're still just confirming what others suggested; you've got something wrong internally and need to start removing parts to find it.

Finally got the truck moved closer to home last night. I haven't had the time or the place to work on it since moving last month. Planning on really getting into it in the next week or so. Thanks for the suggestions.

Last edited: