engine miss/ vibration

Bad Moose

Just a pain in the arse
Went to take the Ford for a trip after sitting for a week. Ran great last trip and pulled 19.5 mpg lie o meter, hand calc should be around 20 mpg:woohoo:

Now for today 30 degrees f temps said 44 degrees for coolant and oil cycled plugs twice. Fired here up to warm up had slight miss nothing new ussually comes out of it. Went to leave and had a miss, still thinking injector hanging a little. Went to highway and got after it tranny shifted odd and when set cruise and engine revved wide open. Took cruise off and slowed down a little got back into it to set cruise and had an odd vibration. Stopped and shut truck off. Started back up and took off still had vibration after 20 miles vibration went away and all good. 40 miles down road and vibration came back no reason. Pulled codes P2287 icp low and p0273 inj 5 inj circ low. Cleared codes and p0273 came back. Stopped at rest area and put truck back to stock. Everything ok except error code p603 int cntrl mod kam error. Reading codes through evolution set on stock. I run sct custom tuned by Innovative. I think it is temp/ tune related because it has been stumbling on colder days but on 50 degree days no apparent issues.

Any ideas? or thoughts? Are greatly appreciated.

Thinking warming truck up tomorrow then putting tunes back in before I head back to KS. Sitting in Lincoln NE right now.

Today went to fire her up and checked temps after being plugged in and they were 120 f coolant and 130 f oil. Figured what the hell and uploads sct and fired her up ran fine no miss. Still have p603 code.

What is P603? There's supposed to be 4 numeric digits there isn't there?

Try reading the codes with the SCT. My buddy always used his bullydog to read his codes and kept getting some odd code, we read it with the SCT and it came up different...

Sorry, should be p0603 internl control mod KAM error.

Ran truck today cleared codes after 40 miles and none came back after 235 miles. Checked after I got after it a couple of times. No codes.

Still thinking temp related I have no idea. What do you think and what should I check?

Can you just replace the coils on the injector or do you have to replace the whole darn thing?

If it starts to get worse becareful. I had an injector go bad and it was letting compretion go back up the injector and it was airiating the fuel. It sucks cause they can only narrow it down for sure to one side or the other.

thats what it was when I had codes for low injector circuts on cyl 6 and 8. put in a different ficm, codes went away. put old ficm in with a new set of injectors, same codes came back.

Thanks Sam W.

I checked Ficm voltages and all were good.

48.7 volts key on
48.3 volts cranking
48.7 volts running

All voltages were taken after truck sat unplugged overnight 19 degrees f last night. Battery voltage started at 12 volts even 10.8 volts with glow plugs on, after glow plugs cycled I checked ficm voltages.

With tune in truck was running extremely rough and never hit on all cylinders. Shut truck off and installed stock tune then started truck it was rough but ran better. Installed economy tune to run started truck, it was rough at start up, and after warming up it smoothed out and ran fine. I did not give the aggressive tune or stock time to smooth out just wanted to see difference. I am thinking it's the agressive street tune causing the error. Maybe someone who knows more can help me out. Just changed oil 2000 miles ago to royal purple 15w-40. Fuel filters were change 2000 miles ago also. The only injector code has been P0273 injector 5 circ low.

Thanks in advance.

Sounds like a bad #5 injector to me. Check the wiring to the injector. Also unplug #5 and take it for a drive. If its no worse, plug it back in. If its not better with it plugged in, #5 is dead. When its this cold out, swithing to a lighter oil is much better on it. A 5w-40 works best.

So with it being intermtent and at cold start ups only. Probally start with oil first. Knowing its probally going to prolong the agony till the injector finally quits all the time.

Turned truck down to Eric's econ tune started the truck yesterday and today. Overnight temps about 8 degrees f truck not plugged in. No codes and once truck went to high idle and warmed up a little smothed out and ran ok.
Still thinking the higher tune somewhat involved. Also agree with Dapilot that injector 5 may be weak. Next oil change will be to 5w-40. Can someone explain why tunes may be affecting it so much?

Checked wiring and visited with innovative about the tuning. Understand how that works now. Now that it has warmed up a little I ordered an injector for the truck. On a 2003 do I need anything else besides injector with orings and crush washer. Dealer is saying no that any orings for the hpop rail are for the newer trucks not the '03. Do I need them if so p/n please.

I have an '03 engine cause my truck is an early '04. Only thing you need is the injector o-rings and the copper washer for one injector, that's it.

Yeah, before you put the injector back in, make sure that you blow the injector holder bolt hole out. because oil can get in there, and if you don't clean it out, you can get a false torque reading when you tighten it down and the injector can/will loosen up and cause the same issue. Some guys use a Q-tip, i spray brake cleaner in the hole then blow it out really good.

Thanks again. How many beer project is this goig to be? I'm planning on a 12pk.

Back