Engine swap help

798 JMan

Alright guys, here's the deal. I've got a 97 5speed 215hp with a cracked block. Got a donor thats a 95 5speed. The guy was doing something around the governer and busted the side of it and then decided to take the 5speed for a swap he did so I have the motor. SO... I have the motors sitting next to each other in front of the 97 (the one I'm keeping) and I need help with swapping parts. I HAVE NEVER DONE THIS!!!!!!! Does anyone have a quick lesson on swapping the pumps? Im thinking of buying various gaskets and seals to put in while its out of the truck. I want to freshen up vacuum/power steering and timing cover gasket. Can you guys think of anything else to do while its out??? Thanks for the help guys. Jake

Replace the tappet cover gasket, and replace the fuel return hose. The pump swap is a bit involved but doable for a newbee. The engine the pump is on now would need to be put to exactly TDC where cyl #1 is ready to fire, and if it was at stock timing you can put the pump pin in to hold it (but break the pump gear nut loose first otherwise you'll snap the pin). Then you'll have to pull the gear with a puller, unbolt pump and remove.

The "new" engine you need to get it to TDC also, dead on, then you should be good to install the pump and bolt on the gear and your timing should be OK. . . but be sure to unpin the pump before bolting the gear or you'll shear it.

Best thing with the pump swap though is do as stated above so that when you move it over your timing is in the ballpark, but then proceed with setting the timing to be sure it's correct (requires timing kit, costs about $250).

I think if you search there are more detailed instructions on R&Ring pumps and setting timing.

Last edited:
Are the tappet covers what I call valve covers? Im not really new to engines, Mainly the injection pump. The timing part REALLY throws me off. I live an hour from SDX in Arkansas. They timed my other dually so they might have to make a house call and help me. How long will it take an experienced person to swap the pumps? Is there anybody on the forum who can order parts at a discount?

The tappet cover is on the side of the block. Can only be replaced if the injection pump is removed.

Alright, I know what you're talking about now. I dont know whats back there but I'll replace it. The "new motor" still has the KDP but no tab. The bad motor is missing the KDP. Is the KDP suppose to be flush? Sticks out a little but didn't move with a couple love taps. Also got the the flywheel turned and a HD clutch.

Well I got the pumps out and it wasnt really to hard. Also tabbed the KDP. So. . . tomorrow put the 215 pump and injectors in and accesories. Im hoping I found TDC and didnt mess anything up. Im biting my nails off so i'll keep y'all posted.