Engine Swap late 04 to 05 and now it will not start

WideOpenThrottl

We have a 2005 pickup that spun a bearing and threw the rod last year. We recently picked up a used motor from member on CompD. The install was finished last night and everything looks to be in order. We have fuel presure to the filter and the rail, it cranks over nice, but no sputtering, no fuel smell, it is as if the injectors are not opening. The motor specs are as follows:

Bad Motor (original)
Engine # 57238249
Family: 4CEXH0359BAD
MFG: 08-02-04

New Used Motor
Engine # 57339602
Family: 5CEXH0359BAD
MFG: 03-07-05

The truck is a 2005, though the original motor has a mfg date of 2004. The new motor has a mfg date of 2005. We kept the wiring harness and computer off of the original motor and put it on the replacement motor. Is there something as simple as a different sensor type between the years?

Thank you for any help,
Tim.

you sure everything is plugged in as far a injector harness? all the wires underneath valvecover.. crank sensor plugged in? do you have a rail gauge you could barrow to check the rail pressure while your cranking.. you could have pressure but not enough to fire the injectors.. I think it takes like 5000 to pop them at start.. when you say you have pressure in the rail is it like alot of pressure or dribbling out.. it should be some much that you have to quickly shut it again!

So the crank and cam sensors have the same plug end style? How close are they to each other?

Thanks,
Tim

they're pretty close. both at the front of the engine.

from everything you've described, the engine should fire up and run just fine if everything is hooked up correctly. re-using the ECM and harness that was originally in the truck

Like Forrest said. It has to be something either not hooked up or hooked up correctly. Codes?

Jake

No check engine light that I noticed, I had to work late tonight, I will check the crank and cam sensors tomorrow after work,
Thanks,

Here are the codes it shows:
0973,2769,2607,1749,0107,0642,0882,0193,0113,0118,0237,0524,0533,0201,0202,0203,0204,0205,0206,0243,0073.

The interesting ones are 0201-0206, any thoughts anyone?

20080616120151.jpg

das a lotta codes!

Are you sure that the injector driver harness is connected to the proper connectors on the outside of the valve cover? Like the 1st plug to the first driver etc....
I have had codes similar to that before and I had #1 and 2 driver plugs mixed up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I will verify the injector harness and grounds tonight, I know there is two ground wires by the ecm, one on the fender by each battery, and one to to motor from each battery, any others?

Thanks!!

There is a ground out of the harness that bolts to the engine mount. Double wire single hole.

It sounds like your 3 injector plugs are not plugged into there correct location.

The main computer harness's clip was broken so it pulled out just enough, plugged it in and a zip tie, runs great,

Thank you for the help guys!!!

Tim.

There is a ground out of the harness that bolts to the engine mount. Double wire single hole.

That one your talking about goes from the wiring harrness to the block (where its got the two wires one hole) then to the mounting plate of the ECM.