Engine trouble

zfstone

zfstone
I just bought a 06 with a a bad engine. I replaced it with one I had, like I've done several times before. The problem if you give it any throttle what so ever it takes a good 45 seconds at least for it to return to an idle. I have replaced every sensor on the engine, I will repeat that "EVERY SENSOR". It is throwing one code p0016 crank cam misalignment. It does run no knocks or anything unusual. It has good power no hesitation sometimes it starts right up other times it cranks awhile. And yes the cam and crank are timed properly. Open to any ideas, I'm stumped and frustrated.

Check that the crank balancer reluctor ring is OK and not broken missing teeth properly aligned. That can cause trouble if not.

^^ Kinda what I was thinking? Check the crank ring, sensor gap, reset apps sensor and have injectors tested.

Reluctor ring is all good, and gap seems to be comparable to any of my other trucks, injectors where checked before engine was installed.

I'm with everyone else, why were the sensors replaced?
I think I would start by getting a good image of the can and crank sensor signals while the problem is occurring it and see if if you could find a known good to compare it to. What does the rail pressure look like when that occurs? Think I would check injectors first...again. how were they tested the first time? Is there any fuel in the oil?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
No fuel in the oil. Injectors where checked at a local reputable injection shop. Again fellas this is not my first rodeo I am no green horn to Diesel engines. Sensors were changed because all the mechanical parts that "may be questionable" have been switched out of one of my other working trucks. I can't figure it out and settled on an electrical issue. So before I heard all about change this sensor or its probably this sensor, I changed them all in hopes that is would settle this issue. No trying to be a wise guy or anything just trying to get it figured out. I borrowed a friends rail pressure gauge and it seems to be comparable to the my other trucks as well. I'm really stumped here. Anymore ideas are appreciated.

Took the truck to the dealer they said the ECM had to be reflashed, I picked it up today and problem solved. Truck operates as it should.