Erratic miss and shut off

sleepin-sport

I have a buddy who is having trouble with his truck. It’s a 02 3500 2wd auto and his problem is with the truck missing and turning off. The motor sputter’s and the rpm fluctuate. I suspected contaminated fuel, so dropped the tank and upgrade the fuel system while we were at it.

The tank was dropped and we performed surgery on the sending unit to accommodate a draw straw. The tank was indeed dirty and had water. A fass 150 system was installed and we decided to remove the factory lift pump and fuel canister. The fuel hose went from the fass straight to the VP. Cracked the line’s and started the truck and the same conditions still exist:confused: .

I opened the fuel canister to see in what shape the fuel filter was in. When I removed the lid from the canister the housing was filter less:eek: . The bottom of the canister has water and debris, not a good sign. He claim’s to have ran the truck filter less for about a couple of days…..?:rolleyes:
Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated (junking it is not an option….yet:hehe: )

I did the key trick to check for codes and they go as follows:

1-P1693
DTC Detected In ECM Or PCM

2-P0219
Camshaft Position Sensor Overspeed Signal

3-P0230
Transfer pump Circuit Out Of Range

4-P0341
Camshaft Position Sensor Signal

5-P0254
Fuel Injection Pump Fuel Valve Current Too High

6-P1690
Fuel injection pump CKP Sensor Does Not Agree With ECM CKP Sensor

7-P0370
Fuel Injection Pump Speed/Position Sensor Signal Lost

8-P1691
Fuel Injection Pump Controller Calibration Failure

i have seen code like that before and it turned out to be a bad ECM

.....that much dirt i would replace at the injectors also along with a complete fuel system flush and hope the VP is going to live through it

Scott

Thanks Scott,

That's the second opinion I get about a bad ecm. If I was to get a used one, it would have to be within the same spec's? (02, 2wd, auto, SO pump)

By cracking the line's by the injector, would I crank the motor with the line's disconnected to spew any debri out?

you may have to get it re-programed from DC....not 100% on that

i would be afraid of dirt already in the injector

if it were me i would send the injectors out to have them cleaned and pop tested

and flush the lines like you said

Scott

Back