Exhaust cutout

Texaschromeboy

Cummins Cadillac
im in the process of making an exhaust cutout for my truck i plan on putting it next to the tranny. The reason i wanted to make one was to maybe enhance performance if any (when i install it) but mainly make some noise when i want, so does anybody have one that you could info me about and does anybody know of a way to make it open and close with an electrical switch or somethin ive seen the electrical ones but they cost WAY to much, maybe i could buy the electrical part individually for a reasonable price and fabricate it in somewhere on the on my exhaust cutout.

sounds like a lot of work for some sound differnce. your not going to notice any power difference, your best bet is to striaght pipe it or put somw type of preformance muffler on it.$.02

oh i got it straight piped but im just trying it out, i wanted to know if anybody had some info on it i was just throwing it out there. but thanks for your input

When I run around without my stacks on, the exhaust dumps right at the back of the cab, and I notice some more low freq noise, but no drastic difference.

Well i finished it and put it on my downpipe last night i built a flap in it kinda like a exhaust brake i still need to rig something up that can open and close it but last night i left it open and it sounded purdy cool just like when your about to straight pipe your truck and you leave it cut. so it sounds cool and im glad that i have the option to close the noise off or open it and make it loud when i want to. :ft:

EC300%20jpg.jpg
http://racereadyperformance.com/products.php?section=Products

h1130_lg.jpg

http://www.pertronix.com/prod/ex/dougs/components.aspx#BracketsExhaustCutouts

Top pic is made by Race Ready Performance, Lower one is from Pertronix
Race Ready one goes all the way up to 5"
The Pertronix one is a little different in that rather than using a butterfly valve they have a "Self cleaning knife edge seat for leak proof seal" ... Have not been able to find anyone who has used it to verify whether the sliding plate style is any better than the butterfly.
Quck Time Performance also seems to be a popular company.

Most of the ones on the gassers just dump it after the valve. I am planning on plumbing it back into the exhaust pipe down stream of the muffler so that whether muffled or bypassed it will all exit at tailpipe and not soot up the underside of my truck.