exhaust hiss

2005 D-MAX

just wonder what actually makes the hiss sound from my exhaust, is it the turbo veins? and if so what an i do to stop it, i hate the sound, ruins the exhaust tone.

Yes. Its the variable geometry turbo. I hated the hiss noise as well. Are you talking about just at idle, or all the way through the RPMs? You can use EFI Live to change the vane position at idle so it will sound like a LB7 at idle, but theres really nothing you can do about the hiss sound when driving, except get a new turbo.

so, if i get an aurora 4000 will that stop it, and on an un related note will i need to get head studs if i get an aurora, the ats site says you dont need them but it runs 48 psi and that seems like alot to me on a stock head setup

Diff'rent strokes for diff'rent folks...I and most anyone I know love the jet airplane hiss. But hey, good luck in getting it to sound like you want it to.

Yes. Its the variable geometry turbo. I hated the hiss noise as well. Are you talking about just at idle, or all the way through the RPMs? You can use EFI Live to change the vane position at idle so it will sound like a LB7 at idle, but theres really nothing you can do about the hiss sound when driving, except get a new turbo.

I did that for a LLY once. The owner hated the shhhhhhhhhhhh sound. Here's the tables I changed with EFI Live-

Engine Operation.Boost Control
{B2210} Turbo Vane Target Position, EGR Off (A), modified.
{B2211} Turbo Vane Target Position, EGR On (A), modified.
{B2212} Turbo Vane Target Position, EGR Off (B), modified.
{B2213} Turbo Vane Target Position, EGR On (B), modified.
{B2214} Turbo Vane Target Position, EGR Off (C), modified.
{B2215} Turbo Vane Target Position, EGR On (C), modified.
{B2222} Turbo Vane Target Position Maximum (A), modified.
{B2223} Turbo Vane Target Position Maximum (B), modified.
{B2224} Turbo Vane Target Position Maximum (C), modified.
{B2225} Turbo Vane Target Position Minimum, modified.