Exhaust Size Question

alvispace

Fat Bastard
Can someone school me on the why an exhaust that is bigger than the TOP is actually necessary? I understand the whole breathing thing and making sure no backpressure, but after no backpressure is assured, how does a 5" out perform a 4"? Is my assumption of little or no backpressure with a 4" exhaust wrong?) Isn't the TOP the limiting factor then the theoretical max flow of the turbo?

Thanks for your help in understanding.

just do a 6" turbo back.:rockwoot:
nuff said

you will love it.... until your truck catches on fire in the middle of the night.

FirstOnRaceDay said:
A 4" exhaust will flow all the air you will ever need but a 5" sounds better.

so something sounds better then a 4in straight piped?!?

i saw a freakn dodge the other day that had a huge piece of slinky duct run out under the truck for the exhaust. looked horrible why someone would think it would look good i dont know. yeah i have 4" never heard a 5" i like mine

4" exhaust will flow all you need until you start hitting around 700 horsepower. At that point, the 4" exhaust is a restriction and you need to step up to 5".

hpprose said:
4" exhaust will flow all you need until you start hitting around 700 horsepower. At that point, the 4" exhaust is a restriction and you need to step up to 5".

^^^^ What he said! :rockwoot:

ChaseN said:
just do a 6" turbo back.:rockwoot:
nuff said

you will love it.... until your truck catches on fire in the middle of the night.

Is there even a 6" downpipe available for the 6.0? If a 4" downpipe is a chore to get aligned and fitting properly how would a 6" even fit?

I think he just meant after the downpipe. Not sure though. Chase gets some crazy azz ideas sometimes...LOL

haha no 6" DP out there (that i know of).

i was just being a smart a$$ about fords burnin up haha.
okay, i'll stop now