Exhaust Y-Pipe Broke

dukcaln

So, I was getting on it pretty good today and all of a sudden I here a horrible sound and I drop all boost and pull to the side of the road. It sounds like a big block exhaust leak. I open the hood and can see exhaust smoke coming from behind the turbo on the driver side. I get under the truck and my buddy puts the truck in drive and I see that under the y-pipe which is wrapped, exhaust coming out. I either think the v-clamp pulled away and the y-pipe seperated from the turbo or the y-pipe broke. He is my question, can I get the y-pipe out with out taking the turbo off? I was hoping I can remove the battery, IC tube, air intake and resivor on the driver side, take the clamp off and try to remove the y-pipe throught the top, if not try to remove it through the bottom. Can it be done with the turbo left on? I am puzzled as to why the y-pipe craked, if thats what happened. Looks like it. Best case, the v-clamp broke or came off and the y-pipe pulled away from the turbo? Thoughts please..........

i dont know if you could, but i know when i tried it on mine, i couldnt. had to pull the turbo. i also still had the egr part of the exhaust on the y-pipe at that time. you may be able to wiggle it outta there, but im leaning towards saying you may have to pull the turbo...

I had my buddy start the truck put it in drive and power break it while I looked from the bottom. Exhaust is leaking right out below the v-clamp.... a lot. I am hoping either the v-clamp failed or broke causing the y-pipe to pull away at the turbo...... might explain why it popped under a load and sounds like a big block with a manifold leak.......... I have to remove the header wrap off the y-pipe and inspect...... lets hope for the best....if not looks like I have pull the turbo and the y-pipe.... hope I can do it all with out....if its a broken v-clamp

yeah, id definetaly get a new clamp whether thats the issue or not.. i had one do that to me also, and it was a huge pain to get it back on correctly..

so you had a v-clamp come off or break.....did it make a sound like a big block with a bad exhaust manifold leak........ I am hoping its just that...

yeah, it wasnt much of a V shape any more, it bent out and wouldnt seal the pipes together at all.. and it did make a big block sound. i could stick my hand close to the clamp and feel the exhaust coming out.. hopefully it is just a clamp on yours tho...

sounds and looks alot like my issue. With it running in drive and power breaking the truck you can see exhaust coming right out under the clamp. I will look again now that the truck is cold. I hope it is just the clamp and I can get it all back together with out having to remove the y-pipe

do you still have the uppipe that has the clamp for the egr stuff, or did you install a pipe like what FCDP makes?

I Do Have An Egr Delete But Think Its The Stock Y-pipe And Up Pipe....? Not Sure

ok, i was going to say that if the uppipe still hooks up to the back of the egr part of the intake manifold, id get that blocked off.. that right there made it wayy easier to maneuver the y pipe around behind the turbo..